Hihats in 3/4 time??

aborgraffiti

When I put Hihats in 3/4 time does the division matter? ex: 1/8T, 1/16T

I have a song where the hihats switch from 1/4T to 1/8T and the hihat rolls are 1/64T and the song is in 4/4.

I know some level of 3/4 time will fit in a 4/4 song but is the above combo okay?

I'm not sure that you understand the difference between 4/4 and 3/4

everything you have stated is about triplet beat division in any time signature

If you use 1/4T as your main beat then dividing them into 1/8T or even 1/16T is fine as the relationship is 1:2:4 i.e. beat:half beat:quarter beat.

However, what you describe is more like 12/8 rendered within 4/4 i.e. you are dividing the 1/4 note beat into 3 equal parts (3 x 1/8T) and then playing these over all 4 1/4 note beats making 12 equal divisions of the bar

3/4, on the other hand, means using the 1/4 note as the beat but only using 3 of them

comparing 3/4 vs 4/4 with 1/8 note division of the beat

3/4 - 1-&-2-&-3-&-|-1-&- -2-&-3-&-|-1-&-2-&- -3-&-|-1-&-2-&-3-&-||
4/4 - 1-&-2-&-3-&- -4-&-|-1-&-2-&- -3-&-4-&-|-1-&- -2-&-3-&-4-&-||

comparing 3/4 vs 4/4 with 1/8T division of the beat

3/4 - 1-e-u-2-e-u-3-e-u-|-1-e-u- -2-e-u-3-e-u-|-1-e-u-2-e-u- -3-e-u-1-e-u-2-e-u-3-e-u-||
4/4 - 1-e-u-2-e-u-3-e-u- -4-e-u-|-1-e-u-2-e-u- -3-e-u-4-e-u-|-1-e-u-2-e-u-3-e-u-4-e-u-||

lastly 1/4T in both 3/4 and 4/4: in this configuration, beats 2 and 4 disappear from 4/4 entirely (there are six strikes per bar), whilst in 3/4 the beats cycle around 1,3,2 (with a varying number of partial "beats" as a result: bar 1 has 5 hits bar 2 has 4 hits bar 3 has 5 hits and bar 4 has 4 hits)

3/4 - 1-u-e-3-u-|-e- 2-u-e-|-1-u-e- -3-u-|-e-2-u-e-||
4/4 - 1-u-e-3-u- e-|-1-u-e- -3-u-e-|-1-u- -e- 3-u-e-||

Some audio would help me understand your real problem and provide a solution that is both meaningful and useful

Sorry, I guess I really just meant triplets because my beat is just a normal 4/4 beat but i wanted the hihats to sound different so i used triplets but idk if what i was doing was right.

This what my hihats look like on the grid is this not okay?

Captureidk.PNG

I'm not sure that you understand the difference between 4/4 and 3/4

everything you have stated is about triplet beat division in any time signature

If you use 1/4T as your main beat then dividing them into 1/8T or even 1/16T is fine as the relationship is 1:2:4 i.e. beat:half beat:quarter beat.

However, what you describe is more like 12/8 rendered within 4/4 i.e. you are dividing the 1/4 note beat into 3 equal parts (3 x 1/8T) and then playing these over all 4 1/4 note beats making 12 equal divisions of the bar

3/4, on the other hand, means using the 1/4 note as the beat but only using 3 of them

comparing 3/4 vs 4/4 with 1/8 note division of the beat

3/4 - 1-&-2-&-3-&-|-1-&- -2-&-3-&-|-1-&-2-&- -3-&-|-1-&-2-&-3-&-||
4/4 - 1-&-2-&-3-&- -4-&-|-1-&-2-&- -3-&-4-&-|-1-&- -2-&-3-&-4-&-||

comparing 3/4 vs 4/4 with 1/8T division of the beat

3/4 - 1-e-u-2-e-u-3-e-u-|-1-e-u- -2-e-u-3-e-u-|-1-e-u-2-e-u- -3-e-u-1-e-u-2-e-u-3-e-u-||
4/4 - 1-e-u-2-e-u-3-e-u- -4-e-u-|-1-e-u-2-e-u- -3-e-u-4-e-u-|-1-e-u-2-e-u-3-e-u-4-e-u-||

lastly 1/4T in both 3/4 and 4/4: in this configuration, beats 2 and 4 disappear from 4/4 entirely (there are six strikes per bar), whilst in 3/4 the beats cycle around 1,3,2 (with a varying number of partial "beats" as a result: bar 1 has 5 hits bar 2 has 4 hits bar 3 has 5 hits and bar 4 has 4 hits)

3/4 - 1-u-e-3-u-|-e- 2-u-e-|-1-u-e- -3-u-|-e-2-u-e-||
4/4 - 1-u-e-3-u- e-|-1-u-e- -3-u-e-|-1-u- -e- 3-u-e-||

Some audio would help me understand your real problem and provide a solution that is both meaningful and useful

Here's the beat so you can listen to it and tell me if it sounds too off when the hihats come in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5hhmeyZbY8

Last edited:
so there was nothing in that that made me think you did what you describe - I didn't even hear a sequence of 64T

maybe a shorter piece if audio with just the section described

so there was nothing in that that made me think you did what you describe - I didn't even hear a sequence of 64T

maybe a shorter piece if audio with just the section described

Here is what the triplet Hihats sound like. And I only ended up putting triplets that were 1/4T and 1/64T. I should have stated that I had changed it somewhat from what I originally had said, but you never even heard the 1/64T rolls so I'm guessing you didn't listen for more then a few seconds anyway.

Capturdfedfse.PNG

This is proof that it is indeed 1/64T unless Ableton is lying to me, you have to click on the picture to make it bigger.

I'm sorry I am being confusing but I'm new to music so I don't know much.

So are triplets in any division okay that's really my question idk if that's not possible to answer or something but what i was trying to say is that i have multiple types of triplets in my beat and i was just trying to figure out if that was okay or not since i wasn't sure.

Last edited:
actually I listened all the way through - admittedly doing other things as I figure the hat lines would be audible or at least noticeable

as for what you have nothing special or abnormal there

most hip hop uses triplet patterns based on 1/8T-1/16T groupings

moving them up to 1/4T-1/8T groupings is simply playing in half-time

Last edited:
actually I listened all the way through - admittedly doing other things as I figure the hat lines would be audible or at least noticeable

as for what you have nothing special or abnormal there

most hip hop uses triplet patterns based on 1/8T-1/16T groupings

moving them up to 1/4T-1/8T groupings is imply playing in half-time

ok i can hear the hihats just fine but it's whatever.

and 1/8t (as in triplet t <-for triplet) is just half time of 1/4? actually i dont even really care anymore tbh. nvm it's cool.

Last edited:
Didn't read over everything in the thread, but if you actually are keeping everything in 4/4. Using 8t, 16t, 64ths, 32nds, ect, everything will still land on time. It will give your hats/snare rolls/whatever you use it on a little "humanity", but everything will work. I switch between them all at random all the time to variate outcomes, never get a surprise that's "wrong".

exactly

the main thing to take away from this, aborgraffiti, is that what yo are doing is fine and does work so don't sweat it for now

Back