High Decay while Sustain is up 100% ?

musicdom

Hey guys!

I've got a question which I can't find an answer to myself...I have seen in a lot of (sylenth)-Tutorials now that the instructors tell explicitly something like:

"Keep the sustain of the amp envelope up. Now make sure to also bump the decay to 100%. This will interact with XY later."

I couldn't manage to understand so far what this interaction will be, especially because I could never hear any difference. So here's my question:

What's the use of bumping the Decay of the Amp Envelope if the Sustain is still up at 100%?

Thanks in advance :-) Google couldn't help me on this one...

Well, I can't find an example of a tutorial now, but by simply scrolling through the Sylenth1 Presets, there are some presets with the same thing going on. For example the Patch "072: LD TeleSynth" from the FactoryBank 1.

There is a 100% sustain and the decay is up to the value "5.600". No envelopes, LFOs or something else modulates this parameter, so the use isn't clear for me.

Here is a screenshot of the factory preset:

Sylenth1 Screenshot.png

You can see in the screen that the Sustainlevel is at 10 (full) and the decay is up. Almost the exact same envelope is also in Part B of the oscillators, and there also is no further use of it.

Does anyone know why this is done?

Last edited:
Back