Hi, I need help understanding some theory of a song.

Can someone help me identyfy the melody/chord progression in this one?

Can it be 1-6-7-3 or something In Bb Minor scale? I can't figure it out and its killing me.

It's the 4th chord of the 5 really throwing me. Should be a C#m but isn't don't think. It's Fm then A#m (or Bbm) then G# or (Ab) then whatever that 4th chord is back to Fm. C# or Db works in my daw but it's not that chord in the track. It definitely has a D note in there somewhere but Dm as suggested above doesn't work for me. The 2nd and 3rd chords (A#m and G#) sound slightly different as well, like they could be 7ths or something slightly different than straight minors or majors. I will play around a bit morr see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty sure it's what I posted but the Dm could be Dm7 or a variation; current location only allows for using iPhone and a non-standard tuned piano, so maybe you're right. I have to transpose in my head...

Why are you trying to bust this? Theory practice, or are you looking to do something different with the track?

GJ

OK, I think I got it, and it's a bear. I was wrong on those chords too, but the bass notes seem correct.

Try-- Db6/F - Bbm - Db6/Ab - Gb9 (no 5)/D (or an Ab in the bass, depending on what sounds right to you). The long four-beat chord is the same as the first-- Db6/F.

I am spelling these thusly:

* Db6/F = F-Bb-Db-F-Ab

* Bbm = Bb - Db - F - Bb

* Db6/Ab = Ab-Bb-Db-F-Ab

* Gb9 (no 5)/D [could also be called Gbadd2 (no 5) ] = D-Gb-Ab-Bb (Note-- Could also have an Ab in the bass... I'm kind of leaning that way).

Dirty Rhodes patch with some grit and a little phase-shifter(?), and you should be good-to-go.

GJ

Last edited:
Back