hi hats oh man (hiphop/trap)

alpha ant

we all love em, I know I do, even low hats.

how do I know when its too much or not enough?

main question:

whats the best technique or approach you use to set up hi or low hats in a trap or hip hop beat

I think its all about the bounce, not necessary a too much or too little approach as it varies by track. One thing that I like to do is actually play out the hat patterns using my midi controller rather than clicking them in, helps me jump into a groove easier.

what is a low hat

:hmmm:

1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, or 1/16 notes depending on the feel you're going for at whichever point of the song

some trap beats throw in 32nd notes or even 64th notes at certain points to get that grindy hat sound. or they throw in triplets to get that off time feel

Last edited:
Use an arpeggio if your daw has one. then automate the rate and set it to single note!

You can eather record the midi or setup routing directly to the sampler holding the hat.

Hoped this helped

BRHSM

I always just start with a simple pattern that I think helps the groove of the song. Then for trap I like to add rolls and triplets until it sounds the way I like

it's too much when it's taking over the track, (ex. too many rolls interfering with the melody)

Back