Here's a question about using scale(s) ?

• Thread starter Alonex Tsismuajxeem
  • Start date
A

Alonex Tsismuajxeem

Seems like everyone is always showing how to get a scale for a chord, as for example:

C Major scale is: C D E F G A B,but they really don't explain what happen chord changes.

From my understanding is that while playing the chord, C Major, I can use any of the notes, C D E F G A B and I should be in key,

but the my question is: When playing a song in the key of C Major that has multiple chords in a progression such as: C Cm Em F G Am,
when I switched to other chords in the progression in the song such as: Em F G Am,

Do I still stick to my C Major scale during those other chords or do I have to change scale according to which chord that I'm playing ?

Let me elaborate on that,
Example: so my chord prgression went from C Major to G Major then to Em
Do I just keep playing my C Major scale during the G Major & Em chords?

or do I change switch to the G Major scale when playing the G Major Chord and change to Em scale while playing Em chord?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like everyone is always showing how to get a scale for a chord, as for example:

C Major scale is: C D E F G A B,but they really don't explain what happen chord changes.

From my understanding is that while playing the chord, C Major, I can use any of the notes, C D E F G A B and I should be in key,

but the my question is: When playing a song in the key of C Major that has multiple chords in a progression such as: C Cm Em F G Am,
when I switched to other chords in the progression in the song such as: Em F G Am,

Do I still stick to my C Major scale during those other chords or do I have to change scale according to which chord that I'm playing ?

Let me elaborate on that,
Example: so my chord prgression went from C Major to G Major then to Em
Do I just keep playing my C Major scale during the G Major & Em chords?

or do I change switch to the G Major scale when playing the G Major Chord and change to Em scale while playing Em chord?

We have been over this many times here in the last 3 years

put simply you are over-thinking the problem

Pick a key, pick a scale and use the chords that that scale brings to bear
- when a chord changes, the home key/scale is still in play unless that chord contains notes from outside the home key/scale

To make it more complicated and over-think it the following should illustrate why you should use the above approach first:

If I take your progression, I can name my scales/modes as follows

C - C major C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
G - G mixolydian G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G
Em - E phrygian E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E

in each case it is the same notes

in addition I could look at each chord and identify the 3 major keys I can find that chord in

C is found in C major/F major/G major
G is found in C major/G major/ D major
Em is found in C major/G major/D major

as well as the 3 natural minor keys I can find that chord in

C is in D nat minor/Am nat minor/E nat minor
G is in Am nat minor/E nat minor/B nat minor
Em is in Am nat minor/E nat minor/B nat minor

as well as the 1 harmonic minor key I can find the major chords in

C is in E harmonic minor
G is in B harmonic minor

and the 2 harmonic minor keys I can find the minor chord in

Em is in E harmonic minor/B harmonic minor

Last edited:
Oh Man, once again, just more details into scales..... :(

That did not help at all.

I just wanna know,

YES, keep the same scale
or
NO, change according to what chord I'm playing.

you can't read then

put simply you are over-thinking the problem

Pick a key, pick a scale and use the chords that that scale brings to bear
- when a chord changes, the home key/scale is still in play unless that chord contains notes from outside the home key/scale

everything else is commentary explaining why it is not worth the trouble of trying to over-think it

Last edited:
In chord progressions you should ALWAYS look on 135 tone of every chord. It is the MOST important for melody.

So:
Em = E G B
G = G B D
F = F A C
Am = A C E

All the tones in between are there to connect from one to another and are called passing tones.
So you build on these notes during these chords and connect with a Cmajor scale.

@igormiskovic i understand what your saying, is there anywhere you know i can get a deeper understanding of what you are saying, something has clicked that i have been struggling to understand for a while but i would like to delve deeper into...

@igormiskovic i understand what your saying, is there anywhere you know i can get a deeper understanding of what you are saying, something has clicked that i have been struggling to understand for a while but i would like to delve deeper into...
Get a teacher.

Back