Help with sexy r&b beats

shelyksit

Been trying to make some modern baby making beats like Chris Brown-Wet the Bed for example. I know how to build chord progressions but they come across too happy. Nothing sexy about them at all. No matter what I do they sound chipper. I like my drum patterns it's just the chords and melodies suck. I make a lot of hip hop, southern and some sampled beats but my r&b is atrocious and I can't seem to figure out why. Any composition advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey man, you might be playing "major chords" without even knowing it. A characteristic of major chords is that they generally sound... "Happy." You might wanna experiment with some minor chords, and I'll tell you how to do that.

For a minor chord, pick a note. Thats your first in the chord.Then skip 3 keys (half-steps, we're counting the black keys too). For the third chord, count 4 forward from there.

So: say you're doing a C minor. You'd be playing C, d# (the black k right after D) and G at the same time.

The 3-4 steps is universal. This is a basic minor triad. So then you can do another chord the same way starting with another base note.

I'm no expert, and I learned this year off researching and getting help. I really hope this helped you. Please let me know.

change your scale. sort of sounds like you stay in c major/a minor. Try dude said above me try using minor scales...However, you can make dark sounding R&B even with major scales, i do it all the time....Also maybe try using some blues scales, they never seem to be "happy" sounding for me

Another spin and probably more on point - you are only using triads which tend to sound upbeat in their own way.

Take your progressions and now turn the chords into dominant 9ths and m7 or m9:

E.G.

Your progression is C-Am-Dm-G

C ~ C-E-G
Am ~ A-C-E
Dm ~ D-F-A
G ~ G-B-D

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/sexyBeats-01.mp3[/mp3]

sexyBeats-01.png

change it up and make it:

C[sup]maj9[/sup]-Am[sup]9[/sup]-Dm[sup]9[/sup]-G[sup]9[/sup]

C[sup]9[/sup] ~ C-E-G-B
Am[sup]9[/sup] ~ A-C-E-G-B
Dm[sup]9[/sup] ~ D-F-A-C-E
G[sup]9[/sup] ~ G-D-B-F-A

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/sexyBeats-02.mp3[/mp3]

sexyBeats-02.png

then look at substitutions that are useful or alternative paths to the same final chord; the latter might change the progression above into

C / C[sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub] / | Fmaj7[sub]/A[/sub] / B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/A[sup]b[/sup][/sub] / | Am[sub]/G[/sub] / G[sup]7[/sup] / | C[sub]/G[/sub] / G[sup]7[/sup] / :||

C[sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub] ~ C-E-G with a B[sup]b[/sup] in the bass
Fmaj7[sub]/A[/sub] ~ F-A-C-E with an A in the bass
B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/A[sup]b[/sup][/sub] ~ B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F with an A[sup]b[/sup]in the bass
Am[sub]/G[/sub] ~ A-C-E with a G in the bass
G[sup]7[/sup] ~ G-B-D-F
C[sub]/G[/sub] ~ C-E-G with with a G in the bass

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/sexyBeats-03.mp3[/mp3]

sexyBeats-03.png

also take a look at this older thread about the same topic

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...posing-sound-design/setting-sexy-mood-418998/

Thanks for the advice. I usually start my chord progression and melodies in A minor then change to the scale that sounds the best to me. It's just easier for me that way. I'm definitely no pianist. I know how to build major and minor chords they just never have the right vibe. Tried different pianos guitars leads and pads.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Thanks a lot homie. I'll definitely have to try some of those chords. The most ill usually add is a 7th here and there. My bass chord is always the root note. That link you gave had some real good ish too. You really know how to answer a question.

Looks like everyone got the chord trick figured out, I would also say work on your drums. I use deep sounding claps or rim shot snares. Nexus piano sound banks are great for R&B beats as well.

url--soundclick.com/loftmusic

Last edited:
Stuff like that is actually harder to make most people don't realize...
Just start listening more and try to take your time as much as possible.. Use mostly low tempos 90bpm and below..
EPiano for chords, synth bass or bass guitar, sine and/or tri leads, wah guitars or riffs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something you can try for really fun results, just play a lot of minor 9th chords in a row using the (I believe) 3rd inversion.

EG-

Dmin9

Left hand: D C
Right hand: E F A

Amin9

Left hand: A G
Right hand: B C E

Bbmin9

Left hand: Bb Ab
Right hand: C Db F

Try it using a Rhodes sound, and just play a bunch of minor 9s this way in a row. Instant neo soul/r&b haha.

So basically play the root and the 7th in your left hand, then the 9th, 3rd and 5th in your right hand.

Try basing your melodies over the notes in the chords you are playing or maybe the pentatonic scale for whatever key you're in. I think getting a good groove is also important, so maybe turn quantizing off for your chords, melodies and drums too.

You can also move each note down or up a half step to go to the next minor chord. Good practice for piano playing too.

Last edited:
Back