Helpful Music Production References I've designed

sdelso

Well here it is, music production basics we all need to refer to, such as compression, chord structures and timing.

Check it out! I spent months designing these. I have them up on my own walls and it has helped me tremendously. I wish I could make the images bigger here, but hopefully if you click on them you could see.

If you would like to see more, check out https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/HomeInAMetronome

il_570xN.720285741_k7ts.jpg

il_570xN.754692609_d8az.jpg

il_570xN.720344340_fh2u.jpg

il_570xN.720174352_j87b.jpg

il_570xN.743992923_mclg.jpg

simplistic at best and fails to discuss what each chart can be used for

the chords on the keyboard are not sufficient as for each new naming note the shapes change - sticking to a 1 size fits all approach only makes your information weak

simplistic at best and fails to discuss what each chart can be used for

the chords on the keyboard are not sufficient as for each new naming note the shapes change - sticking to a 1 size fits all approach only makes your information weak

These charts are for people who already get it, not beginners who are learning. It's a reference, not an explanation. That's the purpose. It's like the periodic table for chemistry.

There are plenty of resources online that explain these concepts in great details for beginners. That's not my audience. I originally made these posters for myself and made them available to professional musicians who have a great appreciation for it. In fact, Attack Magazine covered it.

The keyboard poster is the most useful by far. It lists how many semitones are in between each chord. For example, the notes of the C major chord are C, E, G. There are 4 semitones between C and E, and 3 semitones between E and G. In the D major chord there are 4 semitones between D and F#, and 3 semitones between F# and A.

This pattern applies to E, F, G, A, B, Bb, and all major chords! I list the number of semitones between each notes for all types of chords, minor, augmented, diminished and more. This is a fast way to figure out any chord without having to remember scales. This is a fact of science, there are no chords this does not apply to. So I don't really think you should be commenting on something you don't know about, it doesn't make you look good and you are not contributing anything useful to this forum.

Last edited:
see these (amongst many other contributions made well before you became a member)

Keyboard fingering charts - a collection of different chords

The Circle of Fifths - a tutorial

How to play the scales on piano

How to play arpeggios on the piano

Beginning theory ~ Practical Melody writing tutorials

Chord Progressions in the major - some tips and tricks

14 tricks to improve your melodies

and then tell me that your chart is still a useful production reference and falls under the label of ultimate production reference

Last edited:
So you tell me that my chord chart is wrong, I explain to you why they are right, then rather than try to correct me you list off your forum credentials?

What does this mean "the chords on the keyboard are not sufficient as for each new naming note the shapes change "? The semitones between the chords NEVER changes!

The number of semitones between a major chord will always be 4 and 3. The number of semitones between a minor chord will always be 3 and 4. Diminished is 3, 3. Augmented is 4, 4 and so on. Use the chart to figure out any chords. My non musician friend I showed this poster to can play any chord on the keyboard thanks to this poster. So tell me how that is wrong? Listing your activities of the past doesn't change the fact of science.

I still stand by that my charts are useful because I use them personally, and I've been getting sales and praises. You don't have to like them, and I don't need to convince you when there are others who find it helpful. People have bought my chord charts too. They like the idea of having one page to remind people the concept rather than shooting off a daunting list of 144+ chords with a million dots on them without knowing why they are there. That's the old school way of teaching, just memorization, no thought process. My posters aim to speak to a new generation of critical thinkers and appreciators of modern design.

So you tell me that my chord chart is wrong, I explain to you why they are right, then rather than try to correct me you list off your forum credentials?

What does this mean "the chords on the keyboard are not sufficient as for each new naming note the shapes change "? The semitones between the chords NEVER changes!

The number of semitones between a major chord will always be 4 and 3. The number of semitones between a minor chord will always be 3 and 4. Diminished is 3, 3. Augmented is 4, 4 and so on. Use the chart to figure out any chords. My non musician friend I showed this poster to can play any chord on the keyboard thanks to this poster. So tell me how that is wrong? Listing your activities of the past doesn't change the fact of science.
Actually the semitones DO change, especially once you start factoring in inversions, extensions, alterations, and the like. You're assuming that everyone plays everything in root position(they don't)
For example taking C-E-G:
The distance between from C to E is 4 semitones and so forth. But what if we invert that chord and put the C on top so its spelled E-G-C? What if we are using a Cmaj7 chord with the 3rd in the bass and the 5th dropped altogether? What if we dropped the root of the C major triad and doubled the 3rd or 5th?

Also, the problem with your modes chart is that it doesn't adequately explain how modes are generated from a major scale or their relationship to a key. Can you name what key each of those mode patterns actually belong to in your chart? Not being facetious, I really would like you to explain it to me.

let's look at this logically

Major ChordKey colour used
C/F/GW-W-W
A/D/EW-B-W
BW-B-B
Bb/A#B-W-W
Ab/G#/Db/C#/Eb/D#B-W-B
Gb/F#B-B-B
[

whilst the semitones remain constant in each of the major chords the keys depressed on a keyboard do not remain the same colour and therefore the hand shape changes (whether you like it or not, this is the reality when teaching chord shapes). The same is true of the other chord instrument, the guitar: I know of 6 shapes for major chords simply playing in open position or at the first or second fret, some of these may be explained as movable versions of the others but that still leaves us with three valid movable shapes for a major chord - the internal structure is different for each of these shapes but they all spell a major chord when reduced to their fundamental note names.

- to someone who knows what they are doing, this difference to the picture of three white keys being used to play a major chord is easily understood and compensated for
- to a person new to playing the keys, this difference is not obvious and so they will possibly use the three white keys possibility for all chords that start on a white key note and apply the perverse but understandable logic that chords that start on a black must use all black keys this would lead to the following erroneous spellings of major chords

D - DFA which is D minor
E - EGB which is E minor
A - ACE which is A minor
B - BDF which is B diminished
Bb - Bb-Db-F# which is minor#5 or Gb in 1st inversion
Db - Db-F#-Ab which is Db sus4 (Db-Gb-Ab)
Eb - Eb-Gb-Bb which is Eb minor
Ab - Ab-C#-Eb which is Ab sus4 (Ab-Db-Eb)

Whilst you might think that the above scenario does not meet common sense thinking it is exactly what new musicians/non-musicians do do when asked to work with chords given a few simple ideas: they use the existing model to generate new ideas and then wonder why it doesn't sound right and then resolve that music is too difficult because it is not "logical"

simplicity is not always the hallmark of accuracy or great design. Ultimately, a musician will not ever refer to you chart or mine simply because they have memorised the structures.

If you remove the complexity of individual chords to present a white notes only view of major chords (and similar views of each other chord type) then you remove the ability for that person to actually confront the logical realities of why the different shapes are indeed major chords (they have to recognise the number of semitones in play in each shape) - the multiplicity of shapes is the reality and no amount of clever design rhetoric will remove that.

ps major chords are spelled as 0-4-7 in terms of their semitones or 1-3-5 in terms of their active notes - a minor chord is defined as 0-3-7 in terms of its semitones or 1-b3-5 in terms of their active notes

Back