Help with Tempos...Really Help!

supaproduca123

Your beats actually sound very normal, it's just that your tempo is twice what it should be because you are playing twice as slow as you should, the drums too.

So, in the end, once you render your beat into an audio file it doesn't matter anymore because the tempo sounds ok, as long as you don't turn the metronome on while recording I guess lol

Last edited:
It didn't sound too fast to me. It seems to me like you are just doubling the amount of bars you record which in return gives you a high tempo. You might be using 8 bars to record certain notes when other people might use 4 bars to record the same thing. This would make their tempo half of what yours is. You might have a track with 140 bpm but if you cut the amount of bars you use in half then your bpm would be 70 and it would sound the same. Does that make sense to you? I'm trying to explain the best way I can.

I know someone who does that same thing when they make beats. They use crazy tempos like 170 and 180 bpm but the song sound more like 80 or 90 because they count every 8 bars instead of 4 or every 4 instead of 2.

AzNTonio said:
Your beats actually sound very normal, it's just that your tempo is twice what it should be because you are playing twice as slow as you should, the drums too.

So, in the end, once you render your beat into an audio file it doesn't matter anymore because the tempo sounds ok, as long as you don't turn the metronome on while recording I guess lol

Exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah...you're okay...like others said...You are actually half the stated tempo. I do the same thing on purpose sometimes to get certain grooves....

T-Vo Beats said:
It didn't sound too fast to me. It seems to me like you are just doubling the amount of bars you record which in return gives you a high tempo. You might be using 8 bars to record certain notes when other people might use 4 bars to record the same thing. This would make their tempo half of what yours is. You might have a track with 140 bpm but if you cut the amount of bars you use in half then your bpm would be 70 and it would sound the same. Does that make sense to you? I'm trying to explain the best way I can.

I know someone who does that same thing when they make beats. They use crazy tempos like 170 and 180 bpm but the song sound more like 80 or 90 because they count every 8 bars instead of 4 or every 4 instead of 2.

i think i understand...so an R&B singer has to sing like Twista on a track of mine...

one more question though

if i structured my song like a typical R&B song with a tempo of 90,i would have to double my bars to make it sound like a normal track for a singer

supaproduca123 said:
if i structured my song like a typical R&B song with a tempo of 90,i would have to double my bars to make it sound like a normal track for a singer

No. You would have to cut them in half.

Back