Help...Starting Out with Synths....

JunkOne

Ive never really messed with synths at all only sampling. Can someone give me a brief rundown on what all the controls do on a synth ? LFO, Envelope, Cut, etc. Help apreciated...Thanks.

just do a google search using the terms "synthesizer", "syntheses", "tutorial", "subtractive", etc, etc...

You'll get all the info you could possibly need.

(by the way, all the "synthesis" terms you mentioned are also used in samplers... assuming you don't use your sampler simply as a "music clip playback machine" you should already be familiar with all those functions... there is absolutely no difference in use or function whatsoever. The only difference is that instead of those parameters affecting a sample you recorded, they are affecting a sample in the synthesizer's ROM or affecting an oscillator)

Thanks i thought they were pretty similar. Synths are harder for me for some reason. Just checking on the settings. Thanks alot homie.

No problem. If you still need more information after reading all those articles let me know. I can suggest a few books as well.

Here is a quick partial list (off the top of my head).

Electronica Dance Music Programming Secrets

Power Tools for Synthesizer Programming: The Ultimate Reference for Sound Design

Dance Music Manual: Toys, Tools and Techniques (somewhat basic, but other great info too)

Synthesizer Programming (Keyboard Magazine Basic Library)

Software Synthesizers: The Definitive Guide to Virtual Musical Instruments (bit thin on actual synth info, but good overview of VSTs out there)

That's just the ones I can recall off the top of my head ...

Back