Help needed for "dry drums"...

kang

Hi there guys... i've been told that on a few of my tracks the drums sound dry.

I've never quite understood this term and i was wondering if anyone could expand on it for me and also provide info on how to make my drums sound less dry (wet??).

Cheers.

Kang.

Lol...when they say your drums are dry there usually refering to the warmth of the drum i.e bass, opposed to no warmth (dry). And you fix it when you EQ the drums. Raise the lows on the kick to add the warmth and take some of the higher frequency's off if it needs it.

Cheers mate. I feel a bit stupid for askin the question now... lol

Would you recommend putting a little reverb on the drums? I would try it out myself but my lab is back home and i'm at uni (i live away from home). So the only time i will be able 2 test diff methods is on the weekend.

kang said:
Hi there guys... i've been told that on a few of my tracks the drums sound dry.

I've never quite understood this term and i was wondering if anyone could expand on it for me and also provide info on how to make my drums sound less dry (wet??).

Cheers.

Kang.

actually, "dry" refers to sounds that are without effects... no reverb, no delay, no nothin'

Like if you said "I always keep my kick drums totally dry" it would mean that you dont put any FX on your kick drums.

...and if you said "I left the lead vocals completely dry but put a bunch of reverb on the background vocals" it would mean you had no FX on the lead vocal, but, put a lot of reverb on the background vocals (obviously.)

...or you can say "the kept the piano pretty dry because I wanted it to sound more intimate" to mean that you just put a little tiny bit of reverb (or whatever FX) on the piano... almost barely detectable amount.

does that make sense to you?

Back