HELP NEEDED to Determine Song Key(s)

Tommy Zai

Sampling Madman!
Hi!! I am working on a melody. I have two problem that I can't solve.

1. My verses have the notes: A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#. A Maj seems to make the most sense, but it does not resolve on A; it resolves on E, and that feels like the tonic. I was thinking E Mixolydian Mode, which has the same notes. Any thoughts?

2. The lead-in to my chorus (lead-out of verse) works nicely, but has a different set of notes: A, B, C, D, G. That's all I have to go by. I listen and listen and can't tell if it's minor or major. The G feels like home, but it's hard to tell with the 4 bars. Any thoughts? After this part it goes back into #1 above.

I tried to find a key that included #1 and #2, but no dice . . . it must be a key/mode change of some kind, but . . .

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!!

Sincerely,

Tommy Zai

Go to google images. Type in Piano Scales. It will show Minor and Major scales. I usually determine the key by playing the notes in my chords or beat and compare them to the scales. Some scales are relative but usually you can pin point it down.

Go to google images. Type in Piano Scales. It will show Minor and Major scales. I usually determine the key by playing the notes in my chords or beat and compare them to the scales. Some scales are relative but usually you can pin point it down.

Thanks for the reply. That's sort of what I've been doing. I found a cool site . . .

Musical Scale Finder Tool

This helps. It gives me options. I think I restarted my songwriting career with a slightly complex melody.

Back