Help me find what's wrong here

Eff V

Hey everyone,

I've been producing for about six years now, and where obviously my sound has improved markedly, I can still hear a distinct difference between my music and professional music. I've been trying to master (sorry) how to use compressors, eqs, stereo shapers, verb, and most other relevant plug-ins. If y'all can give a listen to one of my tracks and see something off, let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Y'all

Mixing is a really tough one because it's so subtle.

Just checking, have you got a good set of monitors/headphones? It's pretty much impossible to do any mixing/mastering at all without them.

Don't mix under a limiter
when starting out with EQ and compression, compensate for any compression/eq changes exactly with volume so you can A/B properly. i.e. if your sound peaks at -8dB, and you do some compression and it peaks at -6.4dB, then turn it down exactly 1.6 dB and compare with and without the EQ.

The thing which causes the most errors when mixing is louder =better, so try and avoid as much as possible

Last edited:
Oh of course, I usually just send all my tracks to a bus where I put on most of the compressing and eq'ing, then if I need any sounds with other effects I just route the main bus to another bus specifically with that effect, then putting everything back to the master output where my limiters are. Thanks for the tips fam, I'm definitely gonna try some new things now.

Back