Help With Kicks/Bass

TheMTtakeover

Hey guys. So I have been working on some beats (trap-ish sounding) but I am having some trouble with the bass (808s) and the kicks.

1) Do you always have your kicks and 808s hit at the same time?

2) How long do you guys generally make your bass (808) patterns?

3) How much variation do you have in your bass pattern? I don't just want all of my 808 hits to be on the root note and I love the sound when I raise the notes but Idk how to tell if I am having too much variation or not enough.

I usually have my kicks and 808's hit at the same time but they don't have to, it's nice to have kicks between the longer 808's sometimes. Just make sure to EQ your kicks accordingly if they're hitting at the same time because they'll take up similar frequencies as the 808 bass and clash. I eq my kicks with a rolloff around 80 hZ, so they stay punchy, while the 808 will take care of the deeper bass frequencies. Also boost your kick (but not too much) at 100-110 if more punch is needed. As for how much variation that depends on the track, more variation will make the track more bouncy but sometimes the more simple the better when it comes to basslines (and a lot of other musical components). Studying some of your favorite beats/producers will help you with how much bass variation as well. I typically don't exceed 3 notes in my basslines (the more simple the better when it comes to groove) unless it's a crazy 808 fill. There are so many things you can do to get your kick to sit right with the bass and I do a mixture of all of them now to achieve my 808+kick sound. Learn Side chain compression (automatically lowers the level of the 808 every time the kick hits). Learn basic EQ if you haven't yet and apply that. EQ and compression are the most important thing when it comes to mixing your beats and making them sound good! Hope this helps, lemme know if you have any questions!

I hear alot of migos and future beats, and it seems like the 808 bass is doing a lot... glides etc.
Also, what type of kick should i use with the 808 bass... 808 kick?

one thing I've learned recently is that knowing the tone (note) that your kick is hitting will make a world of difference. For example, if your kick's low end hits at 41Hz, then use your EQ on your bass to filter out that frequency to allow the kick to shine through. Also, a slight bit of sidechain compression, or ducking can help.

So when producing Trap for example, do you find that you are using 808 kicks or any style kick you choose and opt to use an 808 bass?

i'll use the 808's on the important beats and punctuate them with the kicks.
I always use kicks for quick, repeated notes rather than the 808.

Also, these elements tend to clash since they're both in the lower-frequency ranges.
To remedy this, you can delay the attack of the 808 so the kick has time to cut through the mix. Hope this helps

For your case, I'd suggest watching videos on side chaining.

Side chaining allows space for the kick drum to punch through the bass. The best way to explain it is like this:

Imagine a wall (a wall being the bass) and a hole in the wall where you can stick your finger (kick drum) inside with no problem.

By side-chaining, your eliminate that distorted sound and prevent frequencies from clashing together.

The other questions are really opinion based. There isnt a set way to make your 808 patterns. Do what sounds good to you.

Back