Help Identifying Chord Progression

dbfuru

Hi all!

I've been listening to a lot of Chloe Martini's music lately, and a lot of her songs have a similar feeling chord progression. I really love the sound, and I'm wondering if someone could help me figure out the chord progressions in a couple of songs so I might recognise the pattern behind the feeling so I could apply it to my music.

One example is this song: https://soundcloud.com/chloe-martini/gwen-stefani-luxurious-chloe and another is here: https://soundcloud.com/annapaulk/anna-paul-speachless-prod

One more example is here: https://soundcloud.com/chloe-martini/chloe-martini-penthouse

Yet another example of a similar feel is this song by Evil Needle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA2-pyS1qiw

I like the feeling and I've heard it in a few different songs and I would love to know how to make that sound.

Thanks!

Last edited:
i'm not sure, but it seems like there's a lot of 7ths in these examples. from the gwn stefani example, i'd think he has a E min root. and the progression would be I - IV - VI - IV#3#7 - I#3. so that's E min7, A min7, C7b5, Amaj7, and E7. it's hard to hear, but I think you can have this atmosphere by using a plain progression such as the 1-4-6 progression used here, and switching to major thirds in the final chords to get a sort of dissonance going. you should try this, and you'll find that those last chords don't belong, but solving the progression back into your root will make it sound right and complexer than if you'd just stay in your key.
remember, the rules of music are just guidelines, if you feel like you should alter a chord and step out of key, just do it..

i'm not sure, but it seems like there's a lot of 7ths in these examples. from the gwn stefani example, i'd think he has a E min root. and the progression would be I - IV - VI - IV#3#7 - I#3. so that's E min7, A min7, C7b5, Amaj7, and E7. it's hard to hear, but I think you can have this atmosphere by using a plain progression such as the 1-4-6 progression used here, and switching to major thirds in the final chords to get a sort of dissonance going. you should try this, and you'll find that those last chords don't belong, but solving the progression back into your root will make it sound right and complexer than if you'd just stay in your key.
remember, the rules of music are just guidelines, if you feel like you should alter a chord and step out of key, just do it..

Thanks for this! I'm keen to go to the piano and try this out. I really have to work on the creative side of things, I tend to get stuck within music theory and treating it as a boundary rather than guidelines.

Thanks for your help!

Hey sorry for reviving this thread. I gotta say I dig exactly the same kind of chord progressions and always wondered how to create those vibes intentionally.
So far I usually shift the MIDI notes around until I somewhat end up with such progressions 'accidentally' which can get extremely tiring.
I played around with that example that gluckes posted, but I wasn't really successful..
I honestly have no idea where to achieve this knowledge. I googled for "jazzy chord progressions", and several other terms, but I can't really find any articles that go into this kind of stuff. Anybody has a keyword? I'd be more than motivated to spend massive time with the theory behind it, but I just don't know where to look..
Guess I should have listened more carefully to what my guitar teacher told me back then ;)

Hey sorry for reviving this thread. I gotta say I dig exactly the same kind of chord progressions and always wondered how to create those vibes intentionally.
So far I usually shift the MIDI notes around until I somewhat end up with such progressions 'accidentally' which can get extremely tiring.
I played around with that example that gluckes posted, but I wasn't really successful..
I honestly have no idea where to achieve this knowledge. I googled for "jazzy chord progressions", and several other terms, but I can't really find any articles that go into this kind of stuff. Anybody has a keyword? I'd be more than motivated to spend massive time with the theory behind it, but I just don't know where to look..
Guess I should have listened more carefully to what my guitar teacher told me back then ;)

I googled jazzy chord progressions. You mean the first 5 hits weren't helpful at all?
Those first five results are pretty much the foundation right there...

The 10 Most Popular Jazz Chord Progressions + Examples

haha I had to add in the smiley just incase there was any shred of doubt that it was a joke. I was extremely insecure typing that sentence.

I googled jazzy chord progressions. You mean the first 5 hits weren't helpful at all?
No, just not helpful in specific. I realize that those progressions have something jazzy to them. But in my opinion, there's something else to it. Less quirky, and more dark/ melancholic. Never mind, I'll just keep experimenting. Thanks though.

Where are the midi files?!

:o
Hoho, nahh. MIDI filed are too complicated. I rather hire ghost producers and spent the saved time in pigeonholing other people.

Back