Help! How to Make Snare Sound like This?

bryanwhitehurst

Hey guys, I'm looking for either a way to create a snare like this or even better a place to download this snare. At first I thought it was an 808 but I really don't think it is at this point after trying a bunch of techniques. It is around :22s

hmm...I already have that kit. Were you thinking the one called "808_SD 4B Tapesat"? I don't know, I can't get mine to sound as thick as the one in that song.

Last edited:
I usually use standard 808's or samples that I've previously edited - and then re-edit when I have a sound in mind. Or like you, I've heard a dope snare & want to duplicate.

EQ x Layering are your best friends.

Mehn the best thing you could do is try to find an instrumental version of this very track and then sample the snare sound. Be careful not to sample too much otherwise you might be infringing on copyright etc. So if I were you i would try to sample this very sound in the track, even if you could get to the end of it, where Veggies stops rapping or something, then you could take the beat and sample the snare from there.

A TR-808's snare drum has a knob for tone and one for snappy and that's something that will vary from sample to sample depending on how those knobs were set on the 808 at the time, once you find the right sample try adding some slight reverb.

Back