HELP, How Can You Make This Synth Sound?

Swimn'n Bird

I know its originally not a synth but it definitely has that crisp lush tone like one, I've been trying to make it, not getting anywhere, I feel like it wouldnt be hard to re-create I just dont know how yet

EDIT: Exactly 20 seconds in is where the sound starts

Last edited:
When you say "make this sound," you mean the opening notes, right?

Do you have presets you can play with? Or from scratch?

If manipulating/mixing presets, I'd start with a marimba or xylo-slit drum type sound, and add in something with a little metallic ring (or even just tweak the highs a bit and add a touch of spring reverb?)...

If you are talking from-scratch synthesis, maybe start with a staccato sound, mid register/middle octave, I don't know, play with starting with a sine wave or square or a mix, sharp attack, no long release or decay, no lfo, cut-off filter at about 2:00??

If you are playing with samples or presets, you might mix in something with a tight attack/transient that is percussive, like a single-headed concert tom or Octaban hit.

"Lujon" is actually the name of the instrument played, which was created for a Vibraphonist, John Lewis of the MJQ. Shelly Manne (drummer) named it after him (calling it a "Lujon," rather than a "JohnLew"). So starting with anything approximating a metallophone (metal xylophone, or the vibraphone) would be a good place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lujon_(musical_instrument)

GJ

Woops, I tried to make the video start 20 seconds in where the sound comes in but it seems I'm not able to, I'll edit the original post

For this sound, I've been looking for some synth close to it that I can tweak but I'm not having too much luck. Weather, Serum, Massive, Slyenth, I'm not seeing any but I'm also very very new to synths, I just started accepting them into my production.

Last edited:
You mean the string section? Start with any generic "wet" (reverbed-up) string (section) patch. If you are making from scratch with plug-in synth apps as indicated above, you might have to get a good violin sound and do a lot of multi-tracking!

I suppose you could see if there is a free or trial version of a mellotron plug-in? That _might_ work, depending on what you're trying to do...

GJ

Back