Help with getting this shaker sound/pattern

castel

Hello,

Iv'e had some trouble creating this type of shaker pattern that comes in on 0:32

I think it's an 1/16 pattern with varying velocity hits (from soft to hard on the 3rd hit), but when I do it, it ends up sounding really rushed and not having that swing feel. Also would adding some panning help?, or creating two tracks of shakers panning one to one side and vise versa? Pic below of the pattern I'm using.

Thanks for the help on this i feel like I'm missing something super simple... anyway I appreciate the help.

There are a few hihats here - I can hear a louder, more open-type hat on every "and" - every 1/8. And there's the second one, quieter, on every beat - it feels as if the sample is consisting of 2 hits, that's why it feels longer, a bit like a prolonged shaker.

This easy to replicate...with a real shaker :) I think it's a good idea to keep some simple percussion handy, and record them with whatever you got. The organic feel you get naturally from, well, shaking that shaker is much harder to replicate in software than it is by waving your hand for a few seconds.

This easy to replicate...with a real shaker :) I think it's a good idea to keep some simple percussion handy, and record them with whatever you got. The organic feel you get naturally from, well, shaking that shaker is much harder to replicate in software than it is by waving your hand for a few seconds.

Totes! thought there might be a work-around whilst going the midi route... but def going to invest in some shakers and mics.

thanks for the feedback

A basic "egg" type shaker costs about two bucks and even though good mics are a worthwhile investment, I've occasionally recorded perfectly usable perc tracks with just the laptop mic...

Just saying that getting started in this ain't necessarily expensive.

Last edited:
I would only add that the accent is on "and," whether you are counting 16ths or 8ths...

GJ

i like palmspalms suggestion of layering a few subtle hats, slightly off beat with the shaker.

another trick is experiment with manual note adjustment, dragging the shaker midi slightly off the perfect grid: maybe the whole pattern, or only a couple notes in the pattern, like the "e" and the "a" ...[to select only notes of a certain velocity level, i expand the velocity viewer and click and drag]

Back