Help with delay FX please

dizkojockey

Hi guys, can anyone help me out here understanding how to use delay FX properly? Firstly, many of the delay FX I've used have the normal time settings like 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, etc, but I've noticed some have the letters "T" and "D" after them (1/4, 1/4D, 1/4T...etc.). What does this mean? Sylenth has this, but I can see anything in the manual explaining it. Also I've purchased a couple of trance templates from MyLoops to learn some professional techniques and they have been extremely helpful and revealed some good pro techniques. I notice also on delays some people delay the left and right channels different amounts. I normally just put both sides equal. Is it incorrect to do this? Thanks for any advice you can give on this, guys.

T stands for triplet & D for dotted. Dotted is fairly simple - it's just 1,5 times the length of the note (so 1/4T = 1/4+1/8). Triplets are trickier to just write out like that, but there's plenty of examples on the web/youtube/whatever (including the MIDI files in that wiki article) that lay it out pretty straightforwardly.

Nothing wrong with using a simple delay with the same times on both sides, different timings can just sound very interesting & spacious.

Back