Help creating a brass stab in Reason please.

*AJAX*

Im looking to recreate the main brassy stab in this song. It doesn't sound that complex at all but for some reason when I go to recreate the sound its off. Its like im using the wrong waveform or something. I have other programs also so Im not really limited to Reason its just a preference. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vQ3dZXI0Ag

Ha that's crazy I just happened to see this cause I'm starting to learn how to do this exact type of stuff.

The problem isn't what samples you're using, cause it's not a stab, it's that you need to make some sort of gate.

Now I don't know exactly how to do it, but I kind of have an idea, and I don't know exactly how with a NNXT, or NN19 (though I'm sure there's a way)

I can tell you how to achieve a similar effect with a synth:

Find a synth with a brass sounding patch, you're also gonna have to make a Matrix pattern sequencer, switch the Matrix to Curve mode, turn it around and run a wire from the the Matrix Curve CV to the Synth's Level Modulation Input, now mess around with the top half, the red bar all the way up lets all the sound through, all the way down is fully gated.

I don't hear anything that sounds like a brass stab

maybe some timing points to help focus my attention

Whoa I was not expecting those answers, thanks guys! I was under the impression that the synth was sidechained with a kick. I'm going to try these things out in a few tho. I'm actually curious about the actually synth design. I'd like to build it from scratch but I'm not sure where to start. It sounds like a sawtooth or a triangle to me. I'm sure I can play with the filters and mod envelope to get the other stuff. Any help is appreciated again guys.

^^^^ thanks man. I actually used two saws and got pretty close. I knew it was missing something. As for the gate effect it took some wits to figure it out. I had to play around with the wiring a little to get the effect. However I was completely lost when I tried to recreate the same thing in Thor. I've never really messed with the sequencer inside it. I'm gonna watch some tutorials on it tho. That's guys u two have been a HUGE help!

I can post an example patch if anyone wants to learn from it. Just let me know. I'm also looking for a similar style bass. I have sounds that are close but I feel like it's missing some of the mid feq and lacking some of the pop I desire. Any suggestions???

Back