Help with composing a Bridge

S

skeez

What's good everyone. I was hoping somebody would be able to answer a couple of questions about composing a bridge. I'm really just starting to learn music theory.....so be easy on me..lol. My question is let's say I'm composing a song in Eb and my chord progression is Eb/Bb/Ab/Fm. What key should the bridge be in and or how would I determine what key it should be in? Good look in advance for any info.

Peace, if your music are in those terms Eb etc, basically you would want to scale down to a different feel. Ok let me make it easy. Your bridge part need to be smooth, and totally different from your original composition. it's like making a new beat within a beat. You get your bridge from feeding off of your main composition, and you scale down. I am a learned ear player, I know what Eb and all that means but to put it in writing to you I can't do it. Look below you music should end up to the bridge for example.

"La la la la la la la la do do do do La la la la"
La represent the orginal composition and do represent your bridge. I see a lot of producers straying away from bridges and just make the artist sing a different tune, which is lazy, you can tell who knows music and who doesn't . with me I like to make a nice intro, verse, b-section chorus, verse 2 , b-section , chorus, bridge, chorus then end.

^interesting. I believed the bridge comes directly after the verse.

To answer your question, you could use a higher octave F# or just change the melodic/harmonic chord progressions.

Ok.........thanks for the advice guys. So just to ask this question. The bridge can be in the same key as the main melody of the song?

yeah, a bridge is basically new incorporations of a son mixed with familiar incorporations. Like making an intro, and turning it into a bridge by adding a new sound.

I'm a little curious as to others opinions of this as well. I'm still learning chord progressions but just to add a little input, is there any specific rules to bridges? The thought process is to kind of take a break from the song (break the monotany) for a few bars before going into the last verse right? In my humble opinion it could just be 4 bars of any instruments just played a little different from the original melody and or rhythm. Couldn;t you keep pl;aying in the same scale and chords? Different drum pattern, different bassline/same scale. different instruments same scale?

Chuckie Busa said:
I'm a little curious as to others opinions of this as well. I'm still learning chord progressions but just to add a little input, is there any specific rules to bridges? The thought process is to kind of take a break from the song (break the monotany) for a few bars before going into the last verse right? In my humble opinion it could just be 4 bars of any instruments just played a little different from the original melody and or rhythm. Couldn;t you keep pl;aying in the same scale and chords? Different drum pattern, different bassline/same scale. different instruments same scale?

Good questions fam! I also read somewhere about this

PARALLEL KEY MODULATION: The song starts in a major or minor, then modulates to the major or minor of the same chord. For example, you start in A and end up in Am, or start in E and end up in Em

Does anybody do this for their bridge or have heard of this technique?

Terrel said:
^interesting. I believed the bridge comes directly after the verse.

To answer your question, you could use a higher octave F# or just change the melodic/harmonic chord progressions.

Bridges don't always have to be after the verse.

Back