Help with chords to this song!!??

TDOT

I'm am trying to learn the chord progression for this song, it's at the very begining and plays throughout the whole song.

Cassie official girl:
official girl cassie instrumental - YouTube

I started first with the base keys.
F#, G#, A, A, B, D
which sounded like I was spot on

then I found which key I could relate those notes to
Key of AMaj

I want to know the chords to play so I played the given chords in the ek of AMaj:
F#m, G#?, AM, AM, Bm, DM

The question comes from that second chord with the Base Key G#
as per the Major scale it should be G# diminshed, but that doesn't right at all and it's driving me nuts, I tried inversions too and it also sounded off.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure it's simple but my theory and ear isn't the greates

fell into the beginners trap.....

What triads contain G# in them in the key of A????

A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A are the scale tones

triads are
DegreeTypeTones
IMajorA-C#-E
iiMinorB-D-F#
iiiMinorC#-E-G#
IVMajorD-F#-A
VMajorE-G#-B
viMinorF#-A-C#
viib5DimG#-B-D

So possible triads are
E major
C# minor
G# diminished

because it is G# in the bass the triads are written as

E[sub]/G#[/sub]
C#m[sub]/G#[/sub]
G# dim

Of these three, only the E[sub]/G#[/sub] works as a solution to the given progression

Last edited:
LOL wow thanks band coach, I would say that's a big rookie mistake
I didn't even think outside the box, what a fool, I assumed the chord to be, based on the base note

So what you're saying then is, by determining the base note, you need to take a look at which triads in that key, contain that base note.

I will do that next time for sure
Thanks again,

yes, bass note is only one indicator of chord type.

Consider for example another one I also did today, where the chord was Ebm/Db - it is Ebm7 , but the bass note is the 7th - it is also very close to another chord Cb/Db (B/C#) (Ebm/D#m shares two notes with Cb/B) and only by comparing possibilities can you come to the conclusion that it is in fact the m7 in third inversion (Ebm/Db)

Back