Help breaking down this instrumental?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys! Really love this song and this beat was wondering if someone could give me the gist of how the instrumental was made? Not so much the drums but like the sounds like I hear some organ/flute sounds and some keys and other stuff I'm mainly trying to know the melody and chords and stuff if there is any. Thanks alot!

Edit: Heres the link lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhHfMllPbbc

Last edited:
Hey Stanley-- You didn't post a link or a song title. Am I missing something, or just you?

Trap drums, hum kick bass, the interlocking keyboard parts sound like a combination organ and toy piano would be a pretty close place to start. The other synth sound is more of a sine wave element. The repeating line walks down something like A-Ab-Gb, D (^)-Db-B-A-Ab (lather, rinse, repeat)... There's a few other things going on but they're hard to pinpoint with the annoying Migos auto-tuned "mybichizaTROOF-TROOF-TROOF-TROOF" on top. I can't seem to find an instrumental; maybe you can.

Trap drums, hum kick bass, the interlocking keyboard parts sound like a combination organ and toy piano would be a pretty close place to start. The other synth sound is more of a sine wave element. The repeating line walks down something like A-Ab-Gb, D (^)-Db-B-A-Ab (lather, rinse, repeat)... There's a few other things going on but they're hard to pinpoint with the annoying Migos auto-tuned "mybichizaTROOF-TROOF-TROOF-TROOF" on top. I can't seem to find an instrumental; maybe you can.

Hey appreciate the response! How do producers consistently add on dope sounds and ideas? I never have a problem starting a beat or making the base of something but I have the hardest time adding on more instruments and figuring out when is enough or how much I need or if I need to fill up the beat. And lastly whenever I make beats if I start in the key of D# I normally make all my other instruments start at D# just starting in different octaves but it seems like alot of the songs I like and hit records different instruments start in completely different keys but within the scale. Any advice with stuff like that?

Not completely different keys, but different starting points (notes) within the key/scale (synonymous for our purposes).

To directly answer your question, they either have an amazing natural talent, or they work extremely hard at it and study. They either learn about arranging and orchestration, or they listen to a lot of music (a lot), and use their ears and emulate what they hear until it makes sense to them. So try things. They might not work, but the only way to do it (without composition classes) is to try and try again, then examine the results.

There are all kinds of materials here at FP (and all over the Web and YouTube) to help you learn the rules of music (so you can break them). But the point is to keep doing it, and pay attention to those ideas that come to you, and continue to excercise your composition muscles (so they don't atrophy).

Tips--A few ideas... Do you know your scale degrees? Start your melody on D#, but try starting your bassline a 5th below it (or a 4th above). Use a D# as the root of your chord, but then invert the chord (change the order of the notes without changing the notes themselves). Program a funky syncopated beat, then align your bass notes only with the bass drum hits in your rhythm (even if, especially if, the kick rhythm doesn't promote a strong beat "1"). These ideas will get you started with moving off of a D#/D#/D#/D# paradigm.

Last edited:
Back