Help being more orignal?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys so I have been making beats for a while and in the process of trying to take my stuff to the next level and with dreams of being professional I have been listening to alot of different hot producers and doing stuff when I make my beats but I am having difficulty finding that thin line between being original and sounding like someone else or just making beats that sound similar to songs that I like. I feel like it's impossible for me to make a beat without me having some sort of song as a reference of how I want to build it and arrange it. Anyone else have this problem or have some advice? Thanks alot for the feedback!

I do know the problem. I think it's important you keep being yourself on the one hand and on the other, try to find your sound. IMO, there's only one way to get there, make music, a lot of it! Try to let go your big examples. You can keep em in mind as inspiration but shouldn't serve as something you trying to copy. I usually let my mood take me wherever it takes me when I boot up my DAW. Lot's of tweaking and just trying. Sometimes I'm not fully content with a bass line or kick but it's more or less what I want. I leave it and concentrate on engineering a nice modular synth to go with it, go back to the bass and kick later to change it out, etc. Doing this stuff a lot for a long period of time, eventually you should see a red line in your productions. For instance, I love classical instruments and distorted bass+drums. I had a period that I started my tracks with a mellotron and a 60s type of effect over it. Also, most of my tracks need to get very weird at some point to keep my interest. Also, I don't care about masses loving my music. If a handful of ppl go apeshit to my music, so be it. I like industrial darkcore for instance, there's a good base for that genre here in holland and surroundings but earning a living in it is gonna be hard. Not a reason for me to change myself. I still keep making music for the fun of it. Other ppl liking it is a nice bonus.
If you aim to be a producers producer, producing other ppls ideas, if you want to earn your money doing it, there's other choices you need to make.

Just keep experimenting, it's ok if you're inspired by other people you can't sound like them anyway because you don' share the same mind haha, and if you find yourself copying other people just switch it up on purpose, for instance make a 9th wonder style beats ad switch the drums out for some trap drums

Lose the dream to be professional and only then can you be original. When did you know this was/is your dream? Keep in mind the small number of people who become pro and save yourself the issue of "what if I don't make it" but define what "making it" is to you personally.

Hey thanks for the responses guys I really do appreciate it! So whenever I was beat making tutorials they always pick a song and make a beat similar without fully copying. I feel like thats pretty much what I do. Is that a bad thing? Sometimes its hard for me to make something out of thin air.

Hey thanks for the responses guys I really do appreciate it! So whenever I was beat making tutorials they always pick a song and make a beat similar without fully copying. I feel like thats pretty much what I do. Is that a bad thing? Sometimes its hard for me to make something out of thin air.
Of course not. You learned how to talk by emulating your parents and peers, yet you fully grew into your own person....so why is music creation so different?

Here is the original version of My Favorite Things:

...now here is John Coltrane's version:

Stop putting so much emphasis on being "original" and just make the music you want to make, shit...it's not that hard.

I feel like a huge fraction of producers today [in otaku culture] wouldn't be there if it wasn't for asis galvin, negrosaki & bmkiki.
I feel like they paved the way for that nerd culture thing besides those other guys like that mc frontalot dude also.

Back