Help! 90’s BASS sounds... synths used on these records?

greg.bassman

Hi all. Hope you’re well. I’m new to the forum, thank you for having me!

Ok so, I’ve been revisiting 90’s dance, specifically the sounds used to fill the BASSLINES in the following tracks (see below). My knowledge is currently limited though, and I wondered if any of you out there could help fill the blanks for me. I’m looking for their names (or preset name) and (if possible) the name of the original synth used to create the sound.

WHIGFIELD - Saturday night
ROBIN S - Show me love
SANDY B - Make the world go round
SNAP! - Rhythm is a dancer
ADAMSKI ft SEAL - Killer

I have attached some sound samples for your reference. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• BASS SOUND 1 ('saturday night').mp3
    256.3 KB · Views: 99
  • BASS SOUND 2 ('show me love').mp3
    286.1 KB · Views: 42
  • BASS SOUND 3 ('make the world go round').mp3
    290.4 KB · Views: 56
  • BASS SOUND 4 ('rhythm is a dancer').mp3
    310.6 KB · Views: 69
  • BASS SOUND 5 ('killer').mp3
    334.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
The last one sounds something like a TB-303(?)... A couple of those sound more like organ sounds than actual bass. The first couple could be any generic synth with a fairly tight envelope...

Maybe some of the advanced synth-heads will chime in? ("Paging Dr. Krushing? Dr. Bob Daba-Krushing?")

GJ

Without specifically looking them up, I'm pretty sure one of the most famous presets of all time is involved in at least some of these (Snap & Whigfield at least): Lately Bass from the Yamaha TX81z. I'd wager it's covered in just about any FM synth, but even the real thing can be had for cheap.

Hi all. This is great, much appreciated!

Since my original post, I have read that Adamski used the Ensoniq SQ80 to produce the bass sound on “Killer”, and that, it was a PPG Wave (possibly) used on “Rhythm is a dancer” (TBC).

Ok, so that just leaves “Make the world go round” as abit of a mystery. This has become particularly interesting to me; it has an ‘Organ’ like timbre as in “Show me love”, yet it sounds deeper (more intense). Deep dish original produced this track. Any idea’s what synth they used? Preset name?

Last edited:
Back