Hear is a fairly easy one: Can someone explain key to me?

Mofoman

I made a beat and let someone hear it and they told me one of the piano notes/chords was out of key. It sounds fine to me, but he insists its out of key. I can send it to someone if they like or ill post it to my soundclick page.

the key is the set of sharps or flats that is written at the beginning of a piece of music to indicate the "key" or "scale" that they piece is written in. If you composed something in say the key of C you can play any note in that "C" scale, and that's where you get the Key from.(there happens to be no sharps or flats in the key of c so it would be all the white keys from one c to another c

Lafemme said:
the key is the set of sharps or flats that is written at the beginning of a piece of music to indicate the "key" or "scale" that they piece is written in. If you composed something in say the key of C you can play any note in that "C" scale, and that's where you get the Key from.(there happens to be no sharps or flats in the key of c so it would be all the white keys from one c to another c
weird...

How can I identify is a single F note is being played on the C scale or another one?

hmm, well sonically this doesnt sound that bad, im going to up the beat to my soundclick page, can you tell me which keys are the offending keys

being that I said there are no sharps or flats on the key of c, you can play any notes in between those(meaning no black keys(in any octave)) it doesn't matter if you're listening to an "F" in whatever key. KEY is the magic word. you gotta know what key you're in to really know what keys are "right" or "wrong" but if it sounds good to you.....roll wit it.

Lafemme said:
being that I said there are no sharps or flats on the key of c, you can play any notes in between those(meaning no black keys(in any octave)) it doesn't matter if you're listening to an "F" in whatever key. KEY is the magic word. you gotta know what key you're in to really know what keys are "right" or "wrong" but if it sounds good to you.....roll wit it.

er... time to have some musical theory lessons :D

Thanks anyway!

Back