having trouble

C

coco143

i poasted my first beats on a message board and i was told that this was the place to learn the fundamentals of composing and arranging if anyone can help or point me in the right direction it would help me a lot but first hear my beats and you be the judge and don't hold back if its wack to you please explain why you don't like

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/thesoulwonderofthesouthmusic.htm

buddy u suck like sh*tttt
hahaha
seriosuly man
go do somethin else

yo don't listen to that fool. your beats are nice. what are you using to make them? fruityloops? I know there are pleanty of mcs out their dying to get their hands on **** half as good. Though keep in mind what you're trying to accomplish. if you're trying to make a beat for someone to rap over make the beat less complicated and busy. try to make the best out of a 4 bar loop, then just drop out sections here and there. But if your trying to do some stand alone beats just to listen too then you'll need it to get a little MORE complicated, and use automation to control dynamics and effects. Also you could have a central synth and driving riff the song returns to. maybe look up composition on the internet, i've found classical music and music theory to be very helpful to me. try listening to songs you like and see how the beat changes with time, usually at the 32 measure there will be a change of some sort, then again at the 64th, and so on. are those mostly samples or synthesizers? also i noticed that the hi hat and kick will some times fall out of time with eachother, ever heard of quantizing? no joke i liked your beats, but if you want it to sound semi-professional you'll have to tighten it up a lot. i also noticed that the beats were very quite, do you use compression or normalization at all? hope that helps!

Last edited:
ethereal i thank you man for the advice i am using roland sp-606 no programs not even the p606 software it came i am having trouble with different terms and what they mean if i knew what compression and reverb and words like that mean then maby my stuff would sound better but all them beats i did come from the little stuff i know how to do on this machine and the internet as far as gettin samples i really need someone or a book to show me this kind of stuff untill i can go to school(full sail) but thanks oh and to that other dude your as smart as a dog lickin his ass i would like to hear you stuff cause you must be hanging with DRE cause your dope(crackhead)

mines is better beats man urs is weird,
but hey i mite not liek that type of crap so

hahaha, "ohh my beats are better" " no my beats are better yours are wack". yo that **** is stupid, don't ever say someones beats are wack, tell them how to make them better. actually i would tell someone their beats are wack if their frontin like their really good, and that person just needs a does of reality. anway, the internet is a well of knowlege, USE IT! there tons of places to learn about music theory and all that ****, and you've already found one of the best places for learning about producing. look up compression on the internet, and see what you come up with. i know with my boss sp505 there's a compressor, but its a pretty bad one. try messing with the effects, put a reverb on a sample then try playing it, whats different about it? you might want to check out the beat tips manual, i've read it and its actually a pretty good book. it was advertised on here for a while, you should check it out. drum samples are the most important part of hip hop music. listen to some old funk, and during the "break" (the part where only the drummer plays) try sampling a loop, or chop it up and use each drum hit separatly to make a new beat. maybe when you get a little more comfortable with it you should use the software, as far as i know the software lets you sequence a lot easier. your on the right path bro, just keep workin.

yoo i take all that sh*t back man
cuz my buddies were here n sh*t with me n they like start sayin sh*t for fun n ****
i diditn hear ur stuff so yeah im not gonn say nethin
so jus ignore all that crap before n sorry if u got mad or soemthin

kgrewal said:
yoo i take all that sh*t back man
cuz my buddies were here n sh*t with me n they like start sayin sh*t for fun n ****
i diditn hear ur stuff so yeah im not gonn say nethin
so jus ignore all that crap before n sorry if u got mad or soemthin

ho-lee sh1t...!

peace.

in some ways, that reminded me of maybe a tribe called quest beat.

yeah, i would say just listen to some radio rap a lil bit. i dont like most of it either, but a lot of it follows a good pattern to work from.

there have been a milliion posts about song order, and i think the basic is something like 4 bars of intor, 4 bar hook, 16 bar verse, 8 bar hook, etc...

that ish is really quiet, too, maybe turn it up a bit?

i like it though

Back