Have a problem with notes & finding them??

LilMarcus

Ok, it helps that I did band back in middle school because I know a little bit about notes, high notes & stuff like that.It's so hard in fruityloops trying to find that exact note.Sometimes I can't find the note that I'm thinking in my head for the certain sound.Are there ways that are much easier to find notes that you want.Seriously, I have to keep go down the piano roll & hit note from note & sometimes I still can't find the certain sound I want? Anyone have any ideas?? I'm not really that good when it comes to notes & I know nothing about chopping or just anything in the piano roll. Hope someone can help! Praciate it!

I had the same problem as i started off. I practice alot and im starting to find notes that i hear. I can hear a melody and picture where it could be played in the piano roll. It takes time to develope. whistling the notes helps me and might help you. I have no piano history but signed up for a piano class and im pretty sure that will help me get better at finding notes.

in the piano roll theres this razor little thing on top, and u use that to chop stuff in the piano roll or go to "tools" in the piano roll and click on chop. Read the manual to learn about the piano roll and such.

ONE

its easier with a hardware synth, or midi keyboard. Hook up via midi, you can press the keys and its faster...........not so tedious as using a mouse.

plus, I dont know what sounds you are using to find the "notes" you want, but i find it easier if i play around on the piano first. For example, if i have a sample i chopped up, when i want to right the bassline, i first find the notes using a piano rather than a bass. I think the piano is most familiar and easiest to match notes and intervals.

I mean, you cant play piano with piano roll........thats more for editing.

peace.

ezekiel cyrus said:
its easier with a hardware synth, or midi keyboard. Hook up via midi, you can press the keys and its faster...........not so tedious as using a mouse.

If you get desperate, you can use the computer keyboard to try out notes and melodies, too. If you're patient, you can even get chords out of it. Just don't be afraid to quantize later...

Spend $20 and get a dinky little casio or something that you can actually play. If you're trying to write music without any music instruments, you'll find yourself wasting lots of time poking around with a mouse. Getting familiar with a keyboard is a great idea for any musician.

Back