Happy sounding chords....

D

DaKillaB

whats good,

I'm kind of having a little problem with this.

Most of the time when I sit down to compose something new, I almost always end up coming up with something that sounds "sad" rather than happy.

I dont know much music theory so maybe that might be the problem. I've tried increasing the tempo, and it helps sometimes.
I was wondering if yall could give me some happy sounding chords that I can mess around with that might help me out when I get stuck.

for instance, should i stick to major chords rather than minor, and what type of progressions should i be trying.

I appreciate the help.

One.

ok cool,

do u have any progression suggestions that i should try out,

i started out doing only hip-hop, but now i want to change my sound up and do more r&b type joints,

major chords.......

Override said:
major chords.......

or play with the black keys a little more...they always give off a good sound....but, as far as trying to create something happy...majors are usually the way to go...i am by no means an expert of music theory tho

Last edited:
haha, yeah everyone is right...minor is more useful in hip hop and major chords are more useful in rnb.

However, what override said about using the black keys more...haha, yeah he was right that he's an expert in music theory, but he's right about major chords.

If you want to use all white keys (most people starting out do) then here's what you do...

You see how the black keys are grouped in twos and threes? Ok, take a look at a group of two...preferably the pair in the middle of the piano.

With your left hand, going from left to right, put your middle finger on the white key in front of the pair of black keys. Now skip the next white key and hit that with you index finger and skip the next white key after than and hit that with you thumb. That's called a major Triad. I personally only use triads when I compose. Hear hour happy that sounds?

Now, any combination of three notes is considered a triad. You can hit any three of those white notes except one....You remember the combination I showed you above? If you move your hand one set of white notes to the left, it will be out of key. That's the only white chord combination you need to stay away from.

Besides that, hit any three white notes and you'll be fine. Here's another tip...The most white notes you should have between the two notes you hit is TWO. And you should only have that much seperation between the two notes either to the left of your index finger OR to the right of your index finger, but never both sides at the same time.

So, play around with those white chord combinations and find your "happy" chords and develope your ear for chord progression.

Just to get used to playing with both hands....whatever chord you play with your left hand, play it broken with your right hand. Broken means, hit one note at a time instead of playing the entire chord at the same time. Your left hand plays the chord, your right hand plays the melody. When you get used to doing that, start hitting different notes that aren't what you are playing with your left hand. That's when you really get going.

I hope this helps...theres other more advanced techniques, but I would have to post up a youtube video to show you those and I will sometime, so keep your eyes and ears open.

Well first go to www.looknohands.com and go to the piano room. It will show you every chord on the piano. You click on minor chords and it shows you them. The symbol for minor by the way in case you don't know is "m" . PLay a D#minor chord. Thats a classic gangsta sounding minor chord. Also for progressions, generally (though not a rule) if you start out with lets say a C Minor Chord as your first chord in that progression , your generally going to be in the C Minor scale. Now you can build off that. Try a C Minor - F Minor - G Minor progression, but if thats too sad for you try a C Minor start then a D#Maj - F Minor - A# maj - G Maj. That way you get a mix of Major and minor chords. If you want some r n b sounding stuff or just want to mix it up a little. ONce you get tired of using or want to add some more flavour to the progression, throw in a a 7th chord like in the progression above i just put down make it a D#Maj 7th chord, adds nice spice to the progression. Hope that helps ya.

not just major chords but added extensions on the major chords give a more complete feel (7ths, 9ths, 13ths). Try that and I think no one can actually say if minor and major chords are more useful in hip hop & R&B more than the other. I know hella songs that use both throught the whole track with added diminished chords also. What i would say is r&b has more complexity and more movement direction when it comes to chord progressions. Just my oipinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Theres plenty of hip-hop thats major key. Plenty of R&B thats minor and vice verse. When it comes to R&B..if i was to say something was more "useful". It would be (like Jerz said) extended chords.

Jerz you gotta point, look into JAZZY and BLUESY chords, they are based off your basic major and minor chords and can give you a completely different feeling than what major and minors have to offer.

IMO the chord progression, instrument selection coupled with the level of the tempo defines the mood of the music more than a single chord being major or minor. Dont limit yourself, Ive heard minor chords create "bright" songs, and major chords on "darker" ones.

A.W.R.
Peace

Adamant32 said:
Jerz you gotta point, look into JAZZY and BLUESY chords, they are based off your basic major and minor chords and can give you a completely different feeling than what major and minors have to offer.

IMO the chord progression, instrument selection coupled with the level of the tempo defines the mood of the music more than a single chord being major or minor. Dont limit yourself, Ive heard minor chords create "bright" songs, and major chords on "darker" ones.

A.W.R.
Peace

...I don't think anyone was trying to tell him to only use major chords or only use minor chords...he simply wanted to know what chords could make his songs sound happier...simple answer, major chords. Knowing that he was constantly using minor chords and constantly getting "unhappy" type songs, it's safe to say he doesn't know how to make a song sound more upbeat and "happy" with minor chords.

Everything else is only a variation of majors and minors...augmented, diminished, etc. But those are the two ends of the spectrum.

But yeah you're right, there are other ways to make your songs sound "happier" or "brighter" as you put it. But if we're just talking about chords, just look into major chords and their variations.

When I think happy, I think lame, but if you want to make a happy song, start it with a major chord (to cement the major key), then form there you can move to a perfect 4th or 5th major chord up. Actually, try this:

Fmaj, Cmaj, Gmaj (hold Gmaj for two bars)

It's a pretty common chord progression and sounds happy. You need to play around with chords a lot, and listen to what chords are used in your favourite music, you will begin to see patterns. Personally I find this stuff so hard to explain, because I dont even think about it in words, I just know what goes with what. Anyway, hope it helps.

for a fun way to see how minor chords can have effect, try the Tony-b Machine at google. Looks like a kids toy, but there's a bank of amazing tunes that serious dudes have put on that thing. Cheers

The best rule of thumb however is "DONT STICK TO ANYTHING" because all your beats might eventually start sounding exactly the same

Back