Groove in (Hi)Hats

Ferdows

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering how you guys work on your Hi hats to give them a nice groove and not be so static.

Most of the grooves I like have a really nice swing to them.

EXAMPLE:

ps. I work in logic pro x, so any tips specific for logic are also welcome.

the secret sauce to humanising is equal parts

vary velocity levels
vary note start positions

additionally you might also use several different hi-hat sample sets to get a changeup between tight, loose and open sounds

Sidechain the hats to the kick as well, that might be the last step you cant figure out. You can be almost there and not know what to do next when all you are is a side chain away from getting it.

Last edited:
When altering velocities, think about which specific hats you want to be louder, don't just randomize the velocities.

If you're only using one sample, put the lower velocity hits on a separate channel and use EQ to make them slightly muted with some high shelving.

actually randomising within a given range first and then accentuating those hits that you want or need to be accented is the better approach

when adding accents always think of it as adding 5-10 velocity points to the current value - with in a randomly distributed range this will stick out even if they are at the same level as other hits as the accents break the randomness of the distribution

sidechaining is not always the solution to a problem like this - the sidechain may in fact be the exact opposite of what you need to make it work

This may be a little generic, but use a groove template. I know ableton and Reason have one so I'm sure logic does as well. It gives a nice groove to the drums

I lay a pattern down then I remove the quantization grid and I mess with the midi notes until they sound how I like them to but still not like a train wreck.

Back