Gritty Mixes

The examples you chose sound the way they do due to a combination of several factors-- samples (source/sound selection), mix/EQ, sample rate (I have the same Boss sampler as is shown in the last video), and varying amounts of distortion. If I read your question correctly, the essence of what you are calling "grit" is added distortion (via a plug-in type effect or old-fashioned over-driving); you should probably experiment with adding some a bit at a time to your drum tracks, specifically hi-hat and bass drum...

GJ

The examples you chose sound the way they do due to a combination of several factors-- samples (source/sound selection), mix/EQ, sample rate (I have the same Boss sampler as is shown in the last video), and varying amounts of distortion. If I read your question correctly, the essence of what you are calling "grit" is added distortion (via a plug-in type effect or old-fashioned over-driving); you should probably experiment with adding some a bit at a time to your drum tracks, specifically hi-hat and bass drum...

GJ

Ohhh okay. What exactly do you mean by over driving?

Thanks for the help.

Over-driving=adding distortion to a signal run through an amplifier, mixer, or pre-amp with a two-stage gain section (i.e. "input volume" or "gain" control, and "output volume" or "channel volume"). Crank the gain/input control all the way (or very hot), then control actual volume with your output fader. This is how guitar players get distortion on amplifiers. If you intentionally (and tastefully) add distortion to the input, you can get some fat sounds on individual sources or stereo master tracks. Don't over-do it, though...

GJ

Back