Got my chord progressions down.. Now what?!

Again, put up or shut up. There are no risks involved in sharing your music. Copyright exists the moment you commit the idea to a physical medium. This has not changed in the last 40 years and I do not see it changing any time soon.

This is not enough. You need to be able to prove that you are the owner of the copyright otherwise people are free to steal it and claim it as their own. How you go about doing this depends on the country that you live in.

How can you be involved in music as long as you say and not know this?

Proof is in having the drafts as well the as final product.

I am very familiar with Australian, British and US copyright law - have been since the mid 70's when it became an issue in my awakening and burgeoning interest in anything to do with being successful in the music industry. In those days you had to find the right books and read them - really read them, rather than skim some bs website that was written by a 14 year old (or someone with the intellectual capacity thereof) about what they think the business is about.

The "Proof of ownership" is a legal fraud perpetrated by the US legal system in attempt to cow people into complying with dominant business models instead of recognising independent producers and writers. Copyright exists in any composed work whether that is a book, a poem, a lyric, a song, a piece of instrumental music, a film, an article, a website with original content from the moment the idea is committed to any form of media: pen and paper, computer disk, audio cd, film, acetate, printed. Ownership beyond this is an issue for the courts.

I still believe that you are being overly precious and pretentious when it comes to demonstrating your skills and your ish.

Mate or matey or buddy or pal would be more acceptable.

Son, boy and other such terms are likely to cause you serious pain in certain communities. I recall Ali (boxer) being a special guest on a TV awards show here in Australia the late 1970's. The host, after hearing Ali's speech, came out and said, "I like the boy"; The reaction from Ali was one of intense anger - the term boy was still used as a derogatory term in referring to black men of all ages in the USA at this - the only thing that saved the host from an on-air beating he would never forget was that the host's American TV partner came, out, said some thing to Ali, then said to the host, "what did you say?" to which the host, now aware of the gaffe he had made, said, "I said, 'I like him, Roy'" pointing at the camera-man in front of him.

Proof is in having the drafts as well the as final product.

I am very familiar with Australian, British and US copyright law - have been since the mid 70's when it became an issue in my awakening and burgeoning interest in anything to do with being successful in the music industry. In those days you had to find the right books and read them - really read them, rather than skim some bs website that was written by a 14 year old (or someone with the intellectual capacity thereof) about what they think the business is about.

The "Proof of ownership" is a legal fraud perpetrated by the US legal system in attempt to cow people into complying with dominant business models instead of recognising independent producers and writers. Copyright exists in any composed work whether that is a book, a poem, a lyric, a song, a piece of instrumental music, a film, an article, a website with original content from the moment the idea is committed to any form of media: pen and paper, computer disk, audio cd, film, acetate, printed. Ownership beyond this is an issue for the courts.

I still believe that you are being overly precious and pretentious when it comes to demonstrating your skills and your ish.

The above is called "snowstorming" (in the UK). This is where you give a lot of useless information in an attempt to confuse things, when you actually don't know what you are talking about.

Bandcoach, You are a respected member of this site and a lot of people listen to your advice and yet you came out with this quote...

Again, put up or shut up. There are no risks involved in sharing your music. Copyright exists the moment you commit the idea to a physical medium. This has not changed in the last 40 years and I do not see it changing any time soon.

There are no risks involved with sharing your music? No-one can steal the music you share and then claim it as their own? I don't think you will find many in the music industry that will agree with you.

This is pretty stupid advice to give and you are starting to sound more like a 12 year old who is handy with a search engine than anyone serious about music.

It is always advisable to protect your music by establishing proof that you own the copyright to it. Merely recording it is not enough as then you have only your word that it is yours. (Check with any songwriter/composer organization.)

Please don't try to act like you know what you are talking about when you clearly dont.

There are no risks involved with sharing your music? No-one can steal the music you share and then claim it as their own? I don't think you will find many in the music industry that will agree with you.

This is pretty stupid advice to give and you are starting to sound more like a 12 year old who is handy with a search engine than anyone serious about music.

It is always advisable to protect your music by establishing proof that you own the copyright to it. Merely recording it is not enough as then you have only your word that it is yours. (Check with any songwriter/composer organization.)

Please don't try to act like you know what you are talking about when you clearly dont.

I am a member of APRA (Australian Performing Rights Association) and their advice is that my committing the work to any form of media protects my copyright and all other rights. Some lawyers will advise that you post a copy of the original work to yourself or to your solicitor via registered post to have a document that is tracked and certified as being unopened, but it is considered overkill in most cases.

I'm sorry that you understand the process of copyright as set out in the Geneva Convention, but hey, to each their own.

I would also add at this point, that you have backed away from sharing you work with us yet again with a different excuse this time. How many more do you have or do you think the protecting my copyright argument will survive forever (unlikely given the number of professionals that use sales sites to pimp their music) - remember the mere act of publishing in some form whether manuscript or other media is sufficient to secure copyright. No other test should be applied other prior publication/recording. In patent law it is known as prior art and in academic and scientific research it is also known as prior art.

Please learn more about copyright and intellectual property rights before you demonstrate your lack of knowledge.

Structure;

Drum track
Bassline
Rhodes
Moog
Additional Gtr/Strings or whatever to seal the deal, depending on your style, that's all you need to follow and go from from there to get the job done, probably any producer will tell you that.

Last edited:
I am a member of APRA (Australian Performing Rights Association) and their advice is that my committing the work to any form of media protects my copyright and all other rights. Some lawyers will advise that you post a copy of the original work to yourself or to your solicitor via registered post to have a document that is tracked and certified as being unopened, but it is considered overkill in most cases.

So all these people who register their music with the library of congress in the US are just wasting their time and money then?

And everyone registering music with solicitors to establish a creation date (this is a recommended method) is also wasting money? (You usually get charged for the service.)

I suspect that you misread the advice you got, or didn't read far down enough on the page where your search for the word "copyright" took you.

To my knowledge (and several music organizations), there is, as yet, no way to establish a creation date from music that you have recorded on to media. (You need this to prove ownership) And the method of using the mail service to establish a date of creation has recently been discredited. (It won't stand up in court)

Bandcoach, I do not mind if you are just a 12 year old who is clever with the internet, but here you seem to be flailing about in an area you clearly have little experience on. All the information you are giving (and mine) is easilly checkable by anyone, so you are just shooting yourself in the foot continuing with this.

Melodies will often follow a certain chord progression even if they do not have block chords being played underneath them, also when you make melodies, don't try to think of how they sound separately, always try to hear how they sound together.

Back