Got my chord progressions down.. Now what?!

CDotF

Rapper Slash Producer
I feel silly asking this question but I figure I need to ask it if I want to get better at making beats.

Starting to learn music theory and applying the lessons as I learn them. I'm up to chord progressions now.

So let's say that I came up with a basic 4 bar I-IV-V-IV chord progression in the key of C. Which means I'm playing the C-F-G-F on each bar and loop it over.

I create a bassline using the Warbeats method posted here (YouTube - Music Theory - Make Effective Basslines - Warbeats Tutorial) and create a basic drum beat.

...Now what? All I have now is a bassline, a drum beat and a piano/string chord progression. I guess I'm wondering where to go from there? How would I go about composing a lead melody that "fits" in with the components that I have so far?

1.) I'm getting better at creating melodies but often times I get stuck with just ONE melody -- adding another melody with another instrument and it ends up clashing. I'm also getting better at picking instruments that mesh well together, but without the right melodies it just ends up sucking.

2.) Not every hiphop beat has a chord progression going on, so I'm wondering where and how exactly do they come in handy?

Still a lot to learn, would appreciate some guidance ya'll, thanks!

I feel silly asking this question but I figure I need to ask it if I want to get better at making beats.

There is no such thing as a silly question - we all gotta start somewhere.

Starting to learn music theory and applying the lessons as I learn them. I'm up to chord progressions now.

So let's say that I came up with a basic 4 bar I-IV-V-IV chord progression in the key of C. Which means I'm playing the C-F-G-F on each bar and loop it over.

snip.....

...Now what? All I have now is a bassline, a drum beat and a piano/string chord progression. I guess I'm wondering where to go from there? How would I go about composing a lead melody that "fits" in with the components that I have so far?

Funnily enough the basic elements to your melody are contained in the individual chords:
CEG FAC GBD FAC. of course that is very droll and flippant, but it is nonetheless true.

Simpler starting point. Each of these chords can handle having C played over them, even though the G doesn't have a C in it it is part of the chord scale for C major and so will work

Example 1
mib-ex-01.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-01.mp3[/mp3]

Now change the melodic idea slightly to include other chord notes
Example 2
mib-ex-02.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-02.mp3[/mp3]

Add non-chord notes
Example 3
mib-ex-03.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-03.mp3[/mp3]

Add more non-chord and chord notes and change the rhythm up slightly
Example 4
mib-ex-04.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-04.mp3[/mp3]

Add even more non-chord and chord notes and change the rhythm further
Example 5
mib-ex-05.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-05.mp3[/mp3]

Use arpeggios (broken chord runs) and scale runs, changing the rhythm even further
Example 6
mib-ex-06.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-06.mp3[/mp3]

Put it all together
Example 7
mib-ex-07.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-07.mp3[/mp3]

1.) I'm getting better at creating melodies but often times I get stuck with just ONE melody -- adding another melody with another instrument and it ends up clashing. I'm also getting better at picking instruments that mesh well together, but without the right melodies it just ends up sucking.

Simple tricks in harmonising go a long way - when having two instruments working together it pays to have them using the same melodic outline to begin with.

Example 1
Take the original melody and move up a scale tone 3rd. You may need to alter notes to keep them within the scale

mib-ex-08.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-08.mp3[/mp3]

Example 2
Alternatively, take it down a scale tone 4th. You may need to alter notes to keep them within the scale

mib-ex-09.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-09.mp3[/mp3]

Example 3
The two harmony lines together.

mib-ex-10.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-10.mp3[/mp3]

Example 4
All three together.

mib-ex-11.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-11.mp3[/mp3]

You might also want to look at this thread

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...eory-composing-sound-design/harmonies-367194/

2.) Not every hiphop beat has a chord progression going on, so I'm wondering where and how exactly do they come in handy?

Chord progressions give you leverage and stopping and starting point - they can hold the piece together. Even a simple bass line is an expression of the underlying chord progression, so even where you choose not to use a chordal instrument (piano/guitar/etc) you will still have some form of chord progression going on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the usual helpful reply, bandcoach.

I use a similar technique to what you posted on harmonizing make my beat sound more complete -- basically playing the same melody but in different octaves. I never thought about applying the same pattern to a different scale. I'll give it a shot.

Just a clarification: from what I understand about the section you posted on melodies though (the first part of your reply), basically you're using the chord progression as a palette of which notes to hit AT FIRST.

Then you start playing around by adding non-chord notes and changing up the rhythm (using the non chord notes as passing notes) see which ones sound good.

And from there on, I can apply different instruments to different sections of the melody (using different scales if ever) to make a complete beat..

Did I get that right?

It's all starting to make sense now. Thanks man! :cheers:

Got it in one.

There are several more ideas about creating melodies and then creating variations on them, but this is the basic method to start with. Everything else is just decoration which of course is important in any style of music.

Yep

Down a scale tone 4th goes from C down to G

So...just to keep it simple....going a 3rd up.. If I was playing a melody with the notes of C, E, G, B........and I wanted another instrument to come in, that instrument would be played with the notes of E, G, B, D??

a 4th down would be G, B, D, F

So basically...
Main Melody: C, E, G, B
3rd up Melody: E, G, B, D
4th down Melody:G, B, D, F

So I could have my main melody, bass, and synth playing one of those at the same time, and it'd sound decent and harmonized? This is something I've yet to learn thus far

So...just to keep it simple....going a 3rd up.. If I was playing a melody with the notes of C, E, G, B........and I wanted another instrument to come in, that instrument would be played with the notes of E, G, B, D??

a 4th down would be G, B, D, F

So basically...
Main Melody: C, E, G, B
3rd up Melody: E, G, B, D
4th down Melody:G, B, D, F

So I could have my main melody, bass, and synth playing one of those at the same time, and it'd sound decent and harmonized? This is something I've yet to learn thus far

Tough question to answer as the underlying harmony needs to come into play just a little bit.

If this were all over a C chord the third and fourth group of notes might be a problem

Essentially, each line spells a 7th chord ~ Cmaj7 Emin7 G7 and as a result each vertical alignment is creating a triad C Em G Bdim. Add a C bass below and you start to get extended chord harmony, in this case C Cmaj7 Cmaj9 Cmaj11

mib-ex-12.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-12.mp3[/mp3]

What you could do is adjust the notes in the 2nd and 3rd lines to fit over the C chord better, like so:

mib-ex-13.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-13.mp3[/mp3]
CEGB
EGBC
GBCE

or

mib-ex-14.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-14.mp3[/mp3]
CEGB
GCDE
EGAG

If on the other hand you were moving through chords you might be able to reharmonise it like this:

mib-ex-15.png

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/mib-ex-15.mp3[/mp3]

Last edited:
Never forget to listen to other songs, in the style you are making, to get idea's on what to do to fill up the sound. Some standard idea's are...

1/ Add some percussion (eg, shakers, cowbell, bongo's etc)

2/ Add an arpeggio ( eg, a piano playing the individual notes of the chord.)

3/ chords with some rythm ( eg a rythm guitar)

Never forget to listen to other songs, in the style you are making, to get idea's on what to do to fill up the sound. Some standard idea's are...

1/ Add some percussion (eg, shakers, cowbell, bongo's etc)

2/ Add an arpeggio ( eg, a piano playing the individual notes of the chord.)

3/ chords with some rythm ( eg a rythm guitar)

Did you actually bother to read the question which was "How do I go about creating a melody to go over what I've got?"

You offer percussion, arpeggios and add some guitar - wow - I must have missed that day when we were discussing how to write melodies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you actually bother to read the question which was "How do I go about creating a melody to go over what I've got?"

You offer percussion, arpeggios and add some guitar - wow - I must have missed that day when we were discussing how to write melodies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He asked how to fill the track, not only how to write new melody. These are actually very good suggestions for beginner to use them. You can't be that ignorant to expect that everyone knows the basics

emmapeel9 has a history of adding information to threads that is not needed... you must be new here... some of us understand and support what bandcoach has written...

if you want to point out a "ignorant" person it is not bandcoach...

peace

Son, I've been here since 2007, I know perfectly well who is credible on this site and who is not. I'm not saying bandcoach is not credible - he has always been very helpful to everyone.

But my opinion is that his reply was ignorant - he was making joke out of emmapeel's reply, despite those suggestions being helpful to newbie

Quoting the original question to make sure that I haven't missed anything.

I create a bassline using the Warbeats method posted here (YouTube - Music Theory - Make Effective Basslines - Warbeats Tutorial) and create a basic drum beat.

Bold italics added to highlight the initial question. Then there are the two numbered questions; summarised they are:
1) writing multiple melodies or melodies that harmonise
2) why use a chord progression at all

Nowhere is there a request on how to fill the track.

He asked how to fill the track, not only how to write new melody. These are actually very good suggestions for beginner to use them. You can't be that ignorant to expect that everyone knows the basics

No I'm not but then I also carefully read and reread the original post and have just reread it again - nowhere does the OP ask how to fill a track with non-melodic ideas or anything other than melodic ideas. The question as posed was how do I write a melody that works when harmonised but played over the top of this chord progression I-IV-V-I, which was answered. Unfortunately ep came in and added her usual off-topic tuppence that avoids any true guidance to resolving the question as asked. it is like the politician who says in an interview, "that's not the question, the question is this" setting themselves up to answer something they have a prepared response to...

Son, I've been here since 2007, I know perfectly well who is credible on this site and who is not. I'm not saying bandcoach is not credible - he has always been very helpful to everyone.

But my opinion is that his reply was ignorant - he was making joke out of emmapeel's reply, despite those suggestions being helpful to newbie

That would be arrogant not ignorant.

I think the title of this thread is: "Got my chord proggressions down now what?!" The post also seems to want to know what to add from what the OP has already got musically - which I answered.

You seemed to have interpreted the post in your own way - that all the OP is asking about is melodies. You also seem to think this is the only interpretation and that all other answers are not valid - this is not fair on the OP or any other people that reply. If you want your own section where only you can answer then request one.

The advice to get into the habit of listening and learning with other songs is important and can help with all stages of music production from writing to mastering. This is what the professionals do so it is quite bad of you to dis my post.

My advice about simple arranging may or may not be helpful to the OP, but what right do you have to speak for them?

A lot of people find your posts helpful, but this does not give you the right to be stupid and childish which your above post is. Have more respect for the OP's and other peoples posts.

I think the title of this thread is: "Got my chord proggressions down now what?!"

Ah, so you read the title and thought "I'll post what I think they want rather than what they ask for in the actual post" - see this

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...hen-i-answer-question-fp-367776/#post49123332

You seemed to have interpreted the post in your own way - that all the OP is asking about is melodies. You also seem to think this is the only interpretation and that all other answers are not valid - this is not fair on the OP or any other people that reply. If you want your own section where only you can answer then request one.

No, As I've already pointed out above, I read, re-read and then re-read the post to make certain that there was nothing between the lines that I had missed. In no part of the post does CDotF ask for anything except how to create a lead melody that works with he has already worked out, then create additional melodies that work well over the given chord progression and why we would want use chord progressions at all

In this case your response was invalid and I'm prepared to stand by that assessment and statement.

I don't need a "Ask the Bandcoach" subforum and I do not try to come across that way.

The advice to get into the habit of listening and learning with other songs is important and can help with all stages of music production from writing to mastering.

I do not dispute this, but in this context it was not the required advice or the first advice that should be given.

This is what the professionals do so it is quite bad of you to dis my post.

Sorry I didn't realise that you were a professional - given the lack of evidence that you have provided so far despite repeated requests, I find the above assertion laughable.

My advice about simple arranging may or may not be helpful to the OP, but what right do you have to speak for them?

A lot of people find your posts helpful, but this does not give you the right to be stupid and childish which your above post is. Have more respect for the OP's and other peoples posts.

My right to speak is that you have an uncanny ability to:
  • disregard the question asked,
  • suggest that people ignore everything except your advice and
  • then get upset when asked to provide some proof of your skills to allow some of the more experienced folks ascertain your true knowledge level.

At the moment you are like the kid in school who says "that's not how you do it", but when challenged to show how it's done refuses on the basis that you don't want to mess up in front of folks - that is both the cowards response and the response of someone caught out in a lie.

I would remind you that you made this personal. Time to demonstrate beyond doubt that you can write songs and are prepared to share them and be judged for what you do - my work is in my sig.

I at all times respect the OP's posts no matter what else is said. If something posted is wrong, stupid or detrimental to the original poster then I am going to say something about it. To not do so would be a greater act of bastardry than to do so. I'm happy to make someone angry or upset at being corrected - but if we don't correct each other, particularly where there is a clear lack of understanding, knowledge or application then we allow each other to continue to live in a dream rather than grow and develop as musicians, artists and people.

That would be arrogant not ignorant.

Yeah my bad

Quoting the original question to make sure that I haven't missed anything.

Bold italics added to highlight the initial question. Then there are the two numbered questions; summarised they are:
1) writing multiple melodies or melodies that harmonise
2) why use a chord progression at all

Nowhere is there a request on how to fill the track.

Well, there is title,

"Got my chord progressions, now what?",

then there are sentences like these for example

"I feel silly asking this question but I figure I need to ask it if I want to get better at making beats"

or

"...Now what? All I have now is a bassline, a drum beat and a piano/string chord progression. I guess I'm wondering where to go from there?"

You can't deny that EP's suggestions were helpful. There are more ways to fill the track then "just" adding new melody line, as a matter of fact, there are like gazillion industry songs that only include drums, bassline and piano/strings chord progressions, and everything else are effects and accents. There is no need for 50 instruments and 50 melody lines. More simplier the track is, the better

you do not know me well enough to call me "SON"... personally, i prefer merrian webster dictionary when i conversate with other human beings...

therefore... if you want to refer to your father as "SON" cool... but not me!!!

ok?

Definition earned the biggest number of thumbs up says "used as an acceptable international greeting of a person whos name is unknown to you".

But whatever. If you don't like it, I won't use it in your presence anymore. Again, I didn't mean to be rude

@ Bandcoach

So my initial post was invalid - damn!

Anyway, I'll just say a couple of things as this has gotten a bit silly. Let's nip this one in the bud first of all as it has been mentioned often...

I am a professional songwriter and this is my only source of income. Therefore it is important for me to do the right things to make money. At the moment it is not a common thing for songwriters to freely let people listen to their music - you will find it hard to find websites for pure songwriters. This is different from artists and producers who seem to be happier about letting you hear their music.

I would not advise any songwriter to freely band about their music unless their is serious promotional or financial gain. You have to protect your music. Personally I do not see any reason to promote my music on this site - this is not how a songwriter makes a living. The short answer of course is: "Why the %*£& should I ?

I'm probably going to be uploading some fun stuff at points though, just not songs that I am trying to get signed.

Bandcoach, you seem to have completely lost it. First you give this huge chunk of advice to the OP and now you've probably scared them away by starting a stupid argument. This does not make any sense to me.

I did think that you might know what you were talking about even though your approach is different from mine. I do not think that now in light of your odd behaviour in this thread. Personally I would not trust any of your advice without verification.

@ Bandcoach

So my initial post was invalid - damn!

Anyway, I'll just say a couple of things as this has gotten a bit silly. Let's nip this one in the bud first of all as it has been mentioned often...

I am a professional songwriter and this is my only source of income. Therefore it is important for me to do the right things to make money. At the moment it is not a common thing for songwriters to freely let people listen to their music - you will find it hard to find websites for pure songwriters. This is different from artists and producers who seem to be happier about letting you hear their music.

You must move in some strange circles as plenty of professional songwriters I know are more than happy to share their wares with their peers.

I would not advise any songwriter to freely band about their music unless their is serious promotional or financial gain. You have to protect your music. Personally I do not see any reason to promote my music on this site - this is not how a songwriter makes a living. The short answer of course is: "Why the %*£& should I ?

I'm probably going to be uploading some fun stuff at points though, just not songs that I am trying to get signed.

Again, put up or shut up. There are no risks involved in sharing your music. Copyright exists the moment you commit the idea to a physical medium. This has not changed in the last 40 years and I do not see it changing any time soon.

Bandcoach, you seem to have completely lost it. First you give this huge chunk of advice to the OP and now you've probably scared them away by starting a stupid argument. This does not make any sense to me.

I did think that you might know what you were talking about even though your approach is different from mine. I do not think that now in light of your odd behaviour in this thread. Personally I would not trust any of your advice without verification.

dang, put up or shut up in my opinion.

Professionals want people to know that they are just that - professional - you refusal to demonstrate your skills says the exact opposite - charlatan. Give it a rest and when you are prepared to be a professional I might read what you have to say.

I don't think that my behaviour is odd; yours on the other hand is - offering advice not asked for, refusing to prove that you are what you say you are, I definitely do not accept any of the advice you offer, as you are to all intents and purposes unfit to do so..

Last edited:
Back