Got to get away from the 80's!

markal

Hi Guys,

I am a composer for a multimedia company and my main function is to score whatever videos are produced. The problem I'm facing is that whenever I write dance music (clubby type vibe), my manager says that it sounds like it comes from the 1980's. No matter how hard I try to avoid the 80's sound, every time it's the same story.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can improve on avoiding the 80's sound?

Can you be a little more specific? Like what kind of dance clubby type vibe.. House, hip-hop etc.. What synths are you using, and more importantly what drums are you using..

Or you could pay me to write the track for you and then you could slap your name on it... lolol... kidding... or am I.. ;)

I find the 80's sound isn't due to any type of melody but rather due to the sounds. It has basic modulation, on the synths and drums. If you make the sounds yourself layer more waves for the original noise and modulate more. Doesn't have to be excessive modulation, just more of it. If you don't make them yourself use different presets. Likewise with the drums. Buy a new sample pack or if you make them yourself layer and modulate more.

What'chu talkin bout, Willis?

Give that mother fugger some Dubstep that is so awesome that no one is going to give a shit what the video was about.

Hi Guys,

I am a composer for a multimedia company and my main function is to score whatever videos are produced. The problem I'm facing is that whenever I write dance music (clubby type vibe), my manager says that it sounds like it comes from the 1980's. No matter how hard I try to avoid the 80's sound, every time it's the same story.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can improve on avoiding the 80's sound?

1. Ask them to provide you with a mixtape that illustrates the sort of music that they want you write
  2. Analyse the crap out of said mixtape
  3. Use your insights gained from step 2 to write awesome teenies music

Add to that the need to gain good sound sets and your rolling.

ps, yes this is the teenies, as it is now officially 2013 (twenty-thirteen) and the rest of the decade is 201X (twenty-X-teen)

Last edited:
Back