good music with different time signature?

Nitin Sawhney did a track called "Pieces of Ten" which has 10 beats in a measure (10/4 then I assume). Sounds crazy but is actually not difficult at all to listen to or understand. Complex timings like that are commonplace in classical Indian music.

Try listening to the song "Ital" from The Roots, if I am correct the count is 4/4 4/4 4/4 3/4 or listen to the Mary J. Blidge song "Beautiful ones" where I belive the whole song is done in 3/4 then let me know what you think.

2nice said:
i got one in 15/4... its called "uneven" on http://www.soundclick.com/billythekidny (its like the 4th or 5th track from the top, play the hi-fi version).

soundgarden has some good stuff in non-4/4 meters, as does slint, tool, don caballero, stereolab...

I listened to that song. Although there are 15 beats in your phrase, it is very very awkward to count it as one 15 beat measure.

It really does have rather distinct measure breaks in the phrase. I can hear 4 natural measures in the phrase (counted 4/4, 3/4, 4/4, 4/4).

If you gave that song to somebody to transcribe without telling them anything about the song, I believe that is how they would break it down (either that or a 2 measure phrase with a measure of 7 and a measure of 8)... but I really don't think anybody would call it one measure of 15/4.

...but, hey, it is your song... I guess you can count it however you want :)

dvyce said:

I listened to that song. Although there are 15 beats in your phrase, it is very very awkward to count it as one 15 beat measure.

It really does have rather distinct measure breaks in the phrase. I can hear 4 natural measures in the phrase (counted 4/4, 3/4, 4/4, 4/4).

i gotcha.... i based the rhythm of that song around soundgarden's "the day i tried to live"... which i always thought was in 15/4 for the verse and pre-chours, but then again it might not be, since you can break down their measures the same way (a distinct 4/4 phrase, then a 3/4, then 2 in 4/4, given the beats they stress).

Last edited:
Back