is it a good idea to stop listening to the radio?

boom.box

Or myspace? Every now and then I go the Myspace's top artists (signed and unsigned) to see what they sound like and what is it about them that people like. Its alot of the same thing. Especially the M.I.A/electro/new wave sound. I've always been into that stuff but now I'm kind of turned off because its getting oversaturated.

I'm wondering would it be a good idea if I just stopped listening to it- or anything else popluar? I don't want my music to sound like its just another in the bunch. Any ideas? I enjoy other types of music like classical and jazz, or big band swing and motown. maybe I should take a break and start listening to those other styles?

Definetly not a good idea, if you are trying to get into the game, thats not a good idea, atleast imo. Coming from a producer standpoint...gotta stay relevant.. it could be different with rapping or anything else.....i could be wrong tho...But also you should be able to seperate your music from "their" music.

If you wanna throw out stuff that sounds like everyone else, then yes you should listen to the radio. If you want to be the next hot name you gotta find your own sound and always be looking at the future of the game. **** you hear on the radio was made by those producers months, even years before. You gotta guess what the next sound is and try to build towards that. Look at Kanye, Timbaland, Neptunes, Just Blaze, 9th. These guys have a sound that makes ppl go "oh is this by so and so". These guys also have their "kits" on ebay and other sites cuz ppl are trying to emulate their sound. Whats hot now may not be hot in a couple of months. You gotta keep on planning ahead. Soulja Boy may have a big hit, but do u hear about any big name rappers try to get him to produce their next single?

depends on why you're listening. i keep my ear to the streets just to stay current. listen to it but don't let i dictate your style. the latest thing from a hot producers standpoint should be outdone or should be motivation to come off different but blazin. use others music to inspire but not to duplicate.

SOOPA said:
Definetly not a good idea, if you are trying to get into the game, thats not a good idea, atleast imo. Coming from a producer standpoint...gotta stay relevant.. it could be different with rapping or anything else.....i could be wrong tho...But also you should be able to seperate your music from "their" music.

I think you are wrong. If you just try to emulate the sound on the radio you're doing the wrong thing. You gotta find your own sound if you want to make it in the industry. If you're copying other shyt nobody (except for local artists) will ever go to you for production work.

Your own sound is key!

I wouldn't feed into all the b.s. that the radio puts out but I would keep a steady ear to it. The industry is looking for what sells. Honestly if you produce 6 major hits, A&R is not going to give a crap about the 5 others, but only one. That's what is going to make them money. The reason I say "I wouldn't feed into all the b.s." is radio is business. Alot of them don't care what the music is as long as it brings money in and keeps their station on the top of the charts. That's why you heard the song 'Toxic' by B. Spears played over and over again when it first came out. Because it made money and built stats. I bet 6 out of 10 major radio stations wouldn't 'jump' to 'throwing it on' if it was requested today. Plus EVERYONE in the music industry is in competition, so if you want your stuff to be heard you have to have a 'leg up' on the last hit in your genre. So to close up my long babble. I would definetly tell you to stay listening to radio. It's the only way you'll know what people are listening to and what they want to hear (what sells). You will never know what 'threats' are out there if you don't keep check on the radar. ;)

Last edited:
I think it also depends on what genre you really are feelin as an artist. As for me, I produce neo soul...since there isnt alot of neo soul on major commercial radio, I listen to Neo Soul Cafe and /or alot AOL music just to stay current.

just listen to what YOU like to listen to whether it's on the radio or not.

trust me staying tuned to your influences helps develop YOUR sound.

PROTator said:
I think you are wrong. If you just try to emulate the sound on the radio you're doing the wrong thing. You gotta find your own sound if you want to make it in the industry. If you're copying other shyt nobody (except for local artists) will ever go to you for production work.

Your own sound is key!

nevermind this nigga said it all for me lol

Last edited:
SOOPA said:
dont listen to this guy. go listen to that jazz, blues, classic rock, soul, funk, and other real musicians your talking about. its no secret that the best producers in rap don't even listen to rap. theres not a lot to learn about music from rap because its too simple. if your gonna emulate an artist, try to learn from the best like stevie wonder, marvin gaye, the beatles, to name a few. you'll probably never reach their level, but you'll be better off than trying to emulate someone who's trying to emulate those greats. go right to the source, f the middle man. most rap producers strive for production like quincy jones, but fall short, if your trying to model after them you'll always fall somewhere below them, which is how all of these garbage songs come to be today. remember what some ppl call "beats" is still always just musicIf you really have music in you though, you shouldn't need to listen to anything, let it come from within, thats where real music is composed from. keep studying music theory and practicing and you'll be fine. and if you don't already, learn to play an instrument. when ppl ask how does so and so get their music to sound a certain way and think theres some magic buttons they have that no one else has access to, its most likely they have great musicians, not great equipment. great music comes from great musicians. thats whats cool about sampling you can have a great musician play on you record just by sampling him.

its good to stay current to know how to adapt and flip some next ****, not to copy whats out there

but theres some **** that never goes out of style. well, good music never goes out of style for one

its the method of delivery that changes, which often times in r&b and rap (amongst others) is timbre and recording techniques, and coming with new sounds for your new sound. put time into your craft

Last edited:
Rap/HipHip/WhatEverUcALLit.....

used to be simple. I'd hear songs with a triangle, and what sounded like a burned tin can being whacked with a stick rhythmically, though repetitively. The vocals were over compressed, over "effected" profanity by and large, this WAS true...

but now, thats more the exception than the rule. Big, Melodic choruses. Lots of good post production now. Some of them have the "digital philharminic orchestra" thing going on, LMAO... its up to snuff now, production wise most of it.

But, that aside... should you listen to the radio? HUmmm... good one. true, theres a lot of crap/pop out there, sure... what did I do? well... somewhere along the line, I had so many cassettes I rarely listened to the radio. And they were several clashing styles, too, my cassettes. My CD's replace those all mostly that i liked, and more stuff too. With MP3 on internet free, I can afford to sample some classical and throw out what I hate.

OKAY, heres what I say... LISTEN to the radio a lot, just not you picking the station. Have your own CD's, sure, for driving or for at homw... but at work, just make it a point to listen to whatEVER is on. Doesnt matter. You hate country? Good... listen more critically. Try to home in on JUST the bass line...or to pick out "hey... thats just an ascending arpeggiation there... huh..." for fun.

you be surprised what you hear when YOU quit picking the dial. DOctors offices tend to have classical. God forbid you can name 3 different classical pieces and hum the melodies out of tune. (thats where I got my first 3... doctors offices as a kid... humming them, didnt even KNOW... lol)

Sheetz gas stations have this god-awful jukebox "fake radio station" and you get to hear one hit wonders from teh 80's...

and before we all poke TOO much fun at those one hit wonders? There was SOMEthign about each and every one of them, that made them perfectly huge hits. SOMEthing in them SHOULD be emulated, for chrissakes, LMAO.

So yeah, have your CD collection but when your OUT, just listen to what is around, and practice "hearing just the bass line" and stuff like that. You will be surprised when you can recognize several classical pieces, LMAO, I know I was surprised when i realized it.

Just because I dont like country, doesnt mean i dont like some aspects of some songs... and oh GOD...

haha, this ONE time was the only time I ever wrote lyrics that came out half decent? because it was about real life? god himself help me, no matter WHAT I do, I can only "hear" my song being a country song, LMAO... so, of I EVER want to hear my song played by ANYone, its likely going to have to be a country song I songwrite, LMAO (thouhg it will KILL me to do it, LMAO...)

I like Slayer and Metallica, I also own every CD Laura branigan ever made. Deep purple, ELO, Phantom of the Opera, DOkken, beatles, Queensryche, alan parsons, classical...

"good" music in ANY genre has some roots in classical music, in my opinion. In My case? I dont know WHATS gonan happen when i sit down at the keyboard and fire up fruity loops. I bring up that piano and try to make a melody.I tried to make a dance piece? I ended up with a classical. I tried to makea classical once, ended up with a heavy metal song.

sometimes you HATE the song you just butchered all night, scrap it, run the one melody thru a weird sound, and WHAM! it makes a cool short instrumental track... save that one... heh heh

Lately, what I thought sounded a little bit like a clasical guitar, peopel were saying "it sounds slightly asian... different..."

**shrugs**

listen to lots of different stuff and learn to appreciate it. hate "big love songs"? your not HUMAN if you cant find ONE big ballad that makes you want to sing along in your car real loud... LMAO

Gods Truth... I am 6 foot tall, over 200 pounds... I have a crew cut, I wear work boots and a leather vest and i carry a gun 'cos i carry money all day at work... I am the LAST guy you would think you would hear "Phantom of the Opera" and "Laura Branigan" blasting on the car stereo when they are delivering, LMAO...

trust me, i didnt like it the first time i heard it, but I was hearing it and it GREW on me. Cant explain it.

theres a common thread in ALL "good music" and thats whatever classical roots it contains. In many "pop songs" it may be nothing more than that they used the "3 chord" format, but thats a classical thing, LMAO.

Back