Good books/pdfs on arranging and composing electronic music

Yumid

Title pretty much sums it up.

I keep getting pulled into 'pop' arrangements because its just how my head works naturally when I'm arranging something. I will fully intend on 'leading up' to a 'drop' but it always ends up just being a typical pop chorus. I tend to fall into the musical side of things more than the beats and heavy hitting drop side of things.

If i had a clearer image before arranging of what I wanted to do maybe i could break this habit.

Understand, I know the layouts of dance arrangements. Ive studied arrangements, I just seem to naturally get pulled into writing pop arrangements. So with a book I'm more looking for insight and workflow, rather than some chart that will lay out arrangement templates for me. I know that stuff, its just finding out a way for me to productively compose it without getting pulled into something else that I'm more used to.

I think its my lack of "build ups" that always deter my from a drop. I tend to go right from verse into chorus. If I had more of a build up maybe i could invision a clearer drop. But I dont have a lot of experience making build ups because I honestly think they're kind of cliche.

people are under pressure nowadays to make 'dj friendly' arrangements in order to get their tracks played, but sometimes it just doesnt work for a producer. i get tracks where i think its best to start from something small and gradually build up over the course of the song until the main section comes in and then breaks back down again and finishes. personally i think just go with whatever format you wish and if others dont want it that way then tough or make another version to suit. 2 random tracks that would vary in arrangement style that spring to mind would be barthezz - on the move and cosmic gate - melt to the ocean

people are under pressure nowadays to make 'dj friendly' arrangements in order to get their tracks played, but sometimes it just doesnt work for a producer. i get tracks where i think its best to start from something small and gradually build up over the course of the song until the main section comes in and then breaks back down again and finishes. personally i think just go with whatever format you wish and if others dont want it that way then tough or make another version to suit. 2 random tracks that would vary in arrangement style that spring to mind would be barthezz - on the move and cosmic gate - melt to the ocean

I want to make dance arrangements though. I just naturally gravitate towards pop arrangements lol.

have you got the dance music manual by rick snoman?

Yep I've read volume 3. I could look over it again but i dont think it gives too much detail about workflow of arrangement.

I was looking for stuff specifically on arranging. The reason I made this thread is because I came across A book called "arranging electronic music" that looks really good but the purchase link was disabled. I dont know what I need to hear to convince my head to make the arrangements I want to but Im hoping its in a book somewhere haha. I like listening to dance music but I just dont think I agree with the arrangement and layout of how its made.. I like to think more musical and dance arrangements are based around evolution of sound design too. So maybe my arrangement issues would actually be solved by getting better at sound design and the 'building up' aspect of production using filters, etc..

because the more I think about it...I already know dance arrangements..there is just something stopping me from making them. Maybe ill just take a whole weekend and make nothing but risers and stuff in Massive so I have a library of effects I can goto when it comes time to make a build so I dont just skip making it and transition right into a chorus instead of building up into a drop.

Last edited:
use a lot of melody and bass layers and bring them into the mix one by one after say 8/16/32 bars, maybe double up on sounds like an offbeat and arp bass, arp lead and intro lead, main lead and support lead and vocals if available. use the usual format intro > breakdown > melody > mid section > breakdown > melody > outro. listen to some older trance releases and they use that a lot

listen to some older trance releases and they use that a lot

I wish I could suggest a good book, but I don't really know any offhand, my bad man. But, concerning the buildups specifically, I will second the idea of listening to older music. You could also listen to some slightly older progressive house (2009ish era) and you'll hear some good buildups.

I've put a lot of time into improving that particular part of a track and one thing that helps me is to just extend that section. Ie; make a buildup however you usually do, but once you're done with it, simply double the length it just was, then redo it over. Sounds like crap advice lol, but if you force yourself to actually do it, it can really help.

It's something I used to do every now and then for practice. The reason it works is because an extended build will sound very boring if it's not dynamic, melodic, musical, and has good use of filters and automation. And it will lead to a better drop because you'll have more ideas from your buildup to work with. (It also deviates from a standard pop arrangement).

Just my suggestions.

Back