Goldbaby 808 2 notes per sample? Tuning question.

CM03

Ok maybe I've been overanalyzing this but here I go.

Most Goldbaby 808s are tuned around G-G#. After thinking they sounded pitchy in my track (key Gm) I imported them to melodyne. Upon closer observation the attack portion of the kick is around G# and the decay lands down to a G. I selected the bits in G# and dropped the note down to a G but then the 808 loses that sliding feel. Also the "pitch center" of each note seemed to be off a hair so I centered it.

It seems the kick has an attack, then a slide from one note to another. My question is am I over analyzing this? I'm not sure if I trust my ears on this one - it seems weird that if you tune the sample to a G the attack portion will be closer to a G# but then again maybe that is more transient information than a note per se.

Any thoughts? Thanks

If the Track is in Gm you can tune the sample to Bb or Eb. that way when it tunes down a half step it goes down to a note that's still in key to the song.

If the Track is in Gm you can tune the sample to Bb or Eb. that way when it tunes down a half step it goes down to a note that's still in key to the song.

Thanks that is a great tip. However, it does limit your note selection as you are forced to switch your note to something other than the root - which can obviously work but what would you do if you wanted to keep your 808 as a G note? Is this only a Goldbaby issue or?

Last edited:
Thanks that is a great tip. However, it does limit your note selection as you are forced to switch your note to something other than the root - which can obviously work but what would you do if you wanted to keep your 808 as a G note? Is this only a Goldbaby issue or?

Sounds like it might be an issue with that sample pack. I know a lot of samples when they slide down they slide down a whole step instead of an half step. Not much you can do unless you want to do some note editing on the tail of the sample to make it slide another half step without a popping sound.

Back