Give me a direction.

greenlasteve

Hi,there.This is my first post.
I can write lyrics.Now I need to convert that to music.So I head up for some music theory sites.Till now I found this one.I think there are many music guru here.Live performance is not important for me.I just need to build the score sheet and then VST will play that for me.Then, with combining sheet data in compositing software,I can get a nice music that resembles my lyrics.That is my aim. To fulfill that a friend of mine gave me a link few days ago.There I learn till Phrases and Cadences.I do not understand Cadences.Can anyone help me?

A cadence is a resting point in music

the following was originally in this thread:

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...out-again-again-but-chord-progression-371865/

Use Cadence formulae
Cadences are simply resting points in music from a harmonic perspective. there are sseveral types of cadence:
  • Full-close or Perfect
    V-I or V-i
  • Imperfect
    I-V or i-V
  • Plagal
    IV-I or iv-i
  • Deceptive
    V-vi or V-VI
    Interrupted
    V-IV or V-iv
    V-iii or V- III[sup]#5[/sup]
    V-ii or V-ii[sup]b5[/sup]
  • Half-close
    ii-V or ii[sup]b5[/sup]-V
    IV-V or iv-V
  • Tierce de Picardie
    In the minor only
    V-I, i.e. go to the Tonic major instead of the Tonic minor

So based on cadence formulae we can create a progression like I-V-vi-IV-I-V-IV-I aka Let It Be.

can you do me a favor,Bandcoach?Go to "www dot musictheory dot net slash lessons slash 12".On line 9 you will see a situation.I have sent this as screenshot(edit:uhh,this site does not allow me to post screenshot until I have 20 post). If the first note(after time signature) is roman "I" then sixth note has to be "III"(which is marked as "I" now),isn't it? I understand roman numeral as,
"roman numeral is used to mark note or cord in a scale(major or minor or whatever),the first note or cord in a scale is called I,second is called II and so on"

So,the scale in the picture looks like an E scale(major or minor?),but why there is a note in between "I" and "ii".And there should be an extra note between "ii" and "V7".Why is this not there? I just do not understand a bit.

Attachments

• note.png
    note.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 74
can you do me a favor,Bandcoach?Go to "www dot musictheory dot net slash lessons slash 12".On line 9 you will see a situation.I have sent this as screenshot(edit:uhh,this site does not allow me to post screenshot until I have 20 post). If the first note(after time signature) is roman "I" then sixth note has to be "III"(which is marked as "I" now),isn't it?

The issue here is the use of language.

European nomenclature (naming of things) in music theory is different to the US based naming of the same phenomena....

Roman numerals are only used to identify chord function in a given key, usually indicated by a capital letter followed by : for major or a lower case letter followed by : for minor

To identify scale tone function, we normally use Hindu-Arabic numbers or counting numbers as you probably better know them as...

The marking of the Note as I is only to show that it and the following note are part of the I chord (I in F major is F-A-C, and the notes in this bar are A and C)

The scale btw is F major (taken from the key signature and other information available in the passage)

So,the scale in the picture looks like an E scale(major or minor?),but why there is a note in between "I" and "ii".And there should be an extra note between "ii" and "V7".Why is this not there? I just do not understand a bit.

the Roman numerals are indicating which chords (not which notes) are active in each part of each bar.

Most writers on theory reduce their chordal density (number of chords per bar) to at most 2 chords per bar. So in the second bar it is saying the chords are ii-V[sup]7[/sup] (Gm-C[sup]7[/sup]). The note between the two chord points is treated as a passing tone.

I would humbly suggest that you slow down and go back a few steps before trying to continue to understand this material.....

when you say "notes in a key" is equal to "notes in a scale"?
A cord lets say C major "C-E-G" can only be fit into stuff simultaneously? for your information I also include screenshot(ya,now it let me post).

Attachments

• ud_chord.png
    ud_chord.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 48
they are both C major chords, at least according to all the study and teaching that I have done (36 years and counting).

A chord is 3 notes played together or sequentially fitting the pattern of tonic 3rd and 5th

The first is an example of an arpeggio, the second an example of a block chord - they are both chords rendered in a different way.

o my God!!Beginning to feel I know nothing of music!
By the way, "notes in a key" means "notes in a scale"? Can you provide me an example?
And I think I need to start over music theory.Can someone point be a good one sothat I could develop my basic.
PS:I do not have a piano or midi keyboard.All I have are a note composing program and a PC keyboard.

Last edited:
notes in a key and notes in a scale are synonymous

The key of C major consists of the notes: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

The scale of C major has the following notes: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

so let's write the notes out in sequence:
F[sub]3[/sub]-A[sub]3[/sub]G[sub]3[/sub]-A[sub]3[/sub]-B[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]A[sub]3[/sub]-C[sub]4[/sub]C[sub]4[/sub]B[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]A[sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]-F[sub]3[/sub]G[sub]3[/sub]-E[sub]3[/sub]F[sub]3[/sub]
Numbering them as scale tones we get:
1-32-3-43-554-23-2-12-71

Chords contain specific scale tones as follows:
I1-3-5
ii2-4-6
iii3-5-7
IV4-6-1
V5-7-2
vi6-1-3
vii[sup]b5[/sup]7-2-4
V[sup]7[/sup]5-7-2-4

Last but not least consider the possible chords for each bar or each 2 beats

F[sub]3[/sub]-A[sub]3[/sub]G[sub]3[/sub]-A[sub]3[/sub]-B[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]A[sub]3[/sub]-C[sub]4[/sub]C[sub]4[/sub]B[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]A[sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]-F[sub]3[/sub]G[sub]3[/sub]-E[sub]3[/sub]F[sub]3[/sub]
Numbering them as scale tones we get:
1-32-3-43-554-23-2-12-71
I-I
IV-vi
vi-iii
ii--ii
V
--V[sup]7[/sup]
vii[sup]b5[/sup]--vii[sup]b5[/sup]
I-I
iii-iii
vi-V
I
iii

V

the next 4 bars are left as an exercise.

As can be seen though, there are three possible chords for the note in question I-iii-vi, because each of those chords contain scale tone 3. Why then do we choose to use chord I to harmonise, because it is the strongest harmony that contains both scale tone 3 and scale tone 5 leading to chord V in the next bar....

Notes
using an underline on a scale tone indicates that it is below the starting scale tone 1

Last edited:
Back