Ghost Kick...???

Chew_Bear

What is a "ghost kick"...???

Came across it and I am a little confused and need some clarification.

1. How to use..

2. When to use..

3. Why to use...

4. Where to use...

Thanks.

A drummer, when playing a beat, would sometimes include a ghost kick (or ghost snare, ghost hi-hat etc) which is just the normal drum played quietly and softly.

As for when/why and where to use, it's up to you. In breakbeats, it's common to use ghost snares on the off-beats to compliment the normal snares on beats 2/4.

All 4 of those = Preference.
Ghosts can be used to add to "typical" beats or be muted and used to instead be used to control other things like sidechaining.

Usually used to control sidechains without having to have sidechains be sidechained to the audibles.

I like to use them when I'm trying to add some more "feel" or "swing" to my drum tracks, for a more backpack type feel but you can use them at any time as stated above. I like to add a 6th note before my snare or before the 1 kick to give it a little bit of a weird swing that usually sounds pretty good. A ghost kick is more about feel than it is meant to be in your face but it can make all the difference when used correctly, experiment!

4/4 House music style Kick rhythm:

Boom; Boom; Boom; da'Boom...

The " da' " is a ghost kick :)

I'll often pop these on a separate track and cut more bass out of the ghosts so I don't confuse / crowd the power. I'll use either the same kick sound; or a totally different one..... As mentioned a hove; ghost hits aren't limited to Kicks. Snares... HH... etc etc...

Back