Getting Inspiration... How do you do it?

DamianC

I know a lot of us feel as if we can't make a good track or write a good song without us tapping into the true source of inspiration. Of course this doesn't always apply to those that know how to force it out of them, but I'm talking to those that NEED that source of inspiration...

What do you go to in order to tap into your creavite inspiration?

Listen to other genre's of music, not only the style you make.

Study how other musicians went about making music. Not from a technical standpoint, but from their lifestyle. I've been reading up on some of my favorite jazz musicians and looking at how their lifestyles affected the music they made-but not emulating them (drug and alcohol abuse)

Network with other musicians and jam if you play an instrument, if you don't play an instrument...I dunno

Try learning other people's songs. I have a fakebook that I dig through for old jazz tunes whenever I need some new approaches. This helps ALOT for finding newer chords and melodic techniques.

Use life experience as a springboard. Try translating what you feel into a tune.
The object isn't to make "hot tracks", but to express how you feel with song....that's my approach.

Last edited:
Johnny Walker.......:D

Seriously, creativity can be called a number of things:

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep : Dilbert

Creativity is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Creativity is the application of tools, knowledge and skill to a project with unknown possibilities

For me, I listen to a LOT of music...
Classical, Classic Rock, Jazz, World Music... Anything that is DIFFERENT.
Sometimes it gives me fresh ears for an old project, or it might kickstart a new idea!

I listen to tons of music, or go for a walk in the woods behind my apartment if I'm having trouble focusing. In the winter I tend to sit with a pipe full of Captain Black and play on my keyboard until the ideas start flowing.

I listen to music (like practically everyone else said). Literally listen to different genres from different decades. That will usually spark something. If not, I just go and chill. Walk around outside, try and clear my head. Certain environments help me to just relax and open up, you know what I mean? I think you guys would understand. Maybe I'll watch a movie and there's something there that I'll want to sample. Just randomness.

This might be a weird one but sleep deprivation....

I find that when I am extremely tired and have deprived myself from sleep I tend to be more in tune with my creative source. It kinda feels like being one step closer to a dream-like state and my imagination a creativity seems to increase. Alternatively, smoke some weed or mess with some physcodelics.

I used to resort to weed a lot back in the days and I'm sorry if we're not allowed to talk about that here because I hate to assume that all producers smoke and all that because its BS, but I find myself actually doing something else artistic that isn't music inspires me but I find that walking outside is one the most popular and most effective because walking inspires rhythm.

I find a lot creative people smoke weed or use other methods to alter their consciousness..... I would try maybe approaching your production from a different stand point. If you write lyrics, try writing music to suite your lyrics. A lot of guys do it the other way round where they write lyrics to an instrumental that they have made, doing it this way though can be a challenge and and can draw out inspirastion. Just a suggestion.

You know your idol, who makes huge hits, close your eyes and imagine what will be his next big song, remember it, and do it, or Go to the charts website, play songs and think what song would be great there.

Last edited:
For me,

Listen to music (everything that makes me feel)

take a break from production

read books on music

surf the net for tutorials etc

Mind improvisation, write stuff, try some scales/chords/melodies until the inner trigger "activates" (it's some sort of feeling that makes you excited of what you are doing), add some other sounds/instruments, toss if don't like it or keep going if it is convincing. If after some time i can't make anything good, i take a break, walk, smoke, drink.. whatever. Then i come back and resume the project, listening over and over and trying to imagine how i could develop the next parts.

Mistakes also gives suggestions and new ideas to apply on the next riff, bridge or melody.

the drugs thing works. no one's denying that. it wont make someone whos bad better but obviously it clears your mind and helps you concentrate. which is very hard for people to do these days, its hard for people to unwind and really get their ideas out. even common drugs like caffeine or alcohol will change the way you approach you music (or anything you do for that matter)

however, don't. because it's a bad road to start on, most jazz musicians took that route for "easy" inspiration and, well, when was the last time you read about a legendary jazz musician who went on to live on a normal, nice life? even Chet Baker fell out a ****in window.

Back