Getting that heavy, nonmuddy bass? help

Torritorri

I've struggled with getting the lower frequencies sound big but not muddy for a long time, but it's hard. When i listened to Axwell and Ingrossos track "Can't hold us down" i was amazed by that very tight big bass and kick drum. So i'm trying to analyze it, and i need your help! When i've looked around on the internet on articles about getting that tight bass some people say you have to have a kick that doesn't have frequencies below 50 hertz, and some say that a kick with a lot of frequencies below 50 is crucial... Could you give me some tips on how to get the "perfect" lowend, how would YOU do it? and help me figure out how axwell and ingrosso do it in their track. I've created a lowpassed audio clip of the drop and i imported it in this post.

Attachments

• Can't hold us down lowpassed.mp3
    651.1 KB · Views: 37
You can never put a frequency number on where a kick drum should be. Depending on the scale of your song (and tune of your kick respectively) it will hit in different frequencies, same goes for your bassline. I couldn't hear what you posted audio wise right now. But I would say just learn sidechain compression. you'll get any kick and any bassline to blend seemlessly, adds amazing breathe to a track and I would assume the track your talking about did that. It is very very common in bass heavy music

sending us lowpassed mp3's won't help illustrate your question/problem

all I heard was something that seemed like it might be interesting but all of the information about the kick and bass was lost in the low pass operation and further obliterated by converting to mp3

I'd like to add one mathematical fact to what was already said: 95% of all 4/4 danceable music I ever put through an analyzer has components that sit below the 50Hz line. If you do the same with your track, this will easily be revealed, especially if it belongs to the genre that Angelo, Ingrosso and others like them play in.

Also, download a frequency-to-key chart online and really think about it: if you know the classic adage about '3 sounds comprising a kick', the chart should make it clear that, if your punch is in the 80-100Hz range, there is no other possibility than for your sub end to be in the 30-50Hz range. Mainly because it has to be in key with the punch to avoid mud.

As for techniques, a visual tutorial would explain what you want much better, because they show how to align phases, and really are just much more intuitive.

Back