***Getting that DJ Premier snare with air pressure sound***

GreenBurn

I'm wondering if anyone knows what gets layered on top of a regular snare to get that Premier type snare that sounds like it sticks to the snare drum once it is hit. I wonder if the tail end of another sound is layered on top of the snare...also how should a snare be manipulated to get this type of sound or what effects should be used. A description of this sound would be a snare with a high-pressured pipe hissing air layered over it.

Last edited:
i dont know for shure but i think he compreses the drum,and i allso think he might use a reversed gate.

I can't get a sound in my head from your description. Is it a gated reverb? Do people still do that to snares?

kinda think like that industrial music snare sound. NIN uses that same kinda snare. What it is is a snare thats muted, compressed, and gated. and before you even apply all those effects, try finding a snare sample thats vintage anyway and has a thin sound to it already. And on those effects, the gate is the most important.

Thanks Gutty...what is some good software (or VSTs) that allows you to mute, compress, and gate? Right now I'm using only Cubase alongside my mpc.

yeaaaaaa, i was right for once...jk yea try that out man, ive used the same kinda snare in some more electronic music ive made, never really wanted to in hip hop, but i know itr will sound good. Good luck gettin that sound you want

oh, well just look for some free downloads on the net. google it, cuz usually for fx, therese ton's of free vst's for that

Last edited:
i hope i dint mislead anyone but ill take the reversed gate back,i do know the trick is in compresion and gating and maybe reversed reverb..

no their wouldnt be reverb, just because the tail end of that paticualr sounding snare. it doesnt need to resonate

Back