Generic sparkle/twinkle sound. What can I use to achieve this?

aceover9

You hear them all the time in old school R&B songs. An example is at the beginning of Dayz Of Our Lives by Bone Thugs N Harmony (can't post links here yet or I'd link it).

Anyone know a good method or VST to achieve this?

for the bell like sound use 3 sine/triangle waves then set each oscilattor pitch to be 2 octaves above each other eg : 24,0,-24. then just adjust your adsr to get the right amount of decay and release.
to get the sparkly effect just go up a higher octave then draw in the notes going down the scale really quick, similar to rubbing your hands across keyboard keys

it actually sounds like mark chimes, which are hard to emulate in a vst or sample set as everything comes down to how you set them off and then dampen them later.

A good compromise is to use one of the various sample sets and add some high tight fm bell sounds playing down a scale like so 167564534231 ec... with a sustain pedal letting each of the upper notes hold through to the end....

Last edited:
Yes. This is awesome. I'll be honest... a little above my head but at least I can google individual pieces of info you guys gave and go from there. Thanks so much rayzer and bandcoach. I'll mess with the Osc right now and see if I can pull it off. I always have trouble getting those things to make the sounds I want. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 01-21-2013 at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-18-2013 at 10:55 PM ----------

I achieved something close. The only regret is that I really don't understand the 3x Osc to a level where I can understand why it worked. But it worked. Thanks for walking me through it, guys!

post your patch of your final 3xosc setup and maybe one of us can explain it to you.......

This is going to be quite disconcerting but I am not quite sure what you mean by "post your patch." Is there some way I can export the settings or some summary that will show you what I have achieved? I'm using FL Studio.

Thanks for the help.

in the 3rd section you see the volume envelope, move the ATTack and HOLD all the way to the left then play with the DECay SUStain and RELease to make it a short plucked or long bell kinda sound.
also play with the FINEtune and SD stereo detune in the first section to give it a fatter or wider sound if you wish.

Last edited:
EXCELLENT! Thanks a ton, all. Now it sounds even better. Always fun to not be embarrassed of a result. Thanks again.

Back