Future Super Saws

Jakz

I cant seem to get that specific "future" super saw tone. In this song they sound thin yet powerful. Also they sound like basic detuned saws. Kultur told me personally that he used Massive and that he used square-saw oscillators along with nothing but a low cut on the EQ. The closest I've gotten to it is with Sylenth. I just cant seem to get that shimmer without distorting the sound though. Halppp!

https://soundcloud.com/kultursound/ephemere-ft-bamiyah

Not only him that uses it. Wave Racer, Flume, Rustie (IE: Slasherr)

I tried this and used a 24db LPF (for its less harsh cutoff) in massive and it still doesn't sound the same, there's too much presence (ironic). I came closer with Sylenth as you did, but perhaps it's the way they mix it.

Last edited:
I looked at the at the frequency spectrum for Ephemere and the thing I noticed is that there a lot 10-15k activity in the drop. Maybe could get closer in Massive if we tried more white noise?

Here is a patch I tried to come up with earlier this morning.
(I only have two posts so you have to put in the / and . because I can't post links yet)

mediafire(dot)com / download / qkz29n25ji98ti0 / Lorde+Tennis+Court+Flume+Synth+Test.nmsv

For some reason the patch you linked didnt come out as any type of saw lead... Was it the right one?

Take a screenshot of the patch? It might not work for you which I hope it doesn't (not work)

I forgot to mention that I mixed only one saw with a pulse/pure sine as opposed to a supersaw and I got a little closer than a reg supersaw

Last edited:
I think it could use some more voices or something idk sounds a bit think. Was it supposed to be the Tennis Courts synth?

if the you're after a sound thats in a song thats professionally mixed/mastered i would try to guess what it sounded like premixed. Also you aren't going to get the epic sound you want with one instance of massive. You're gonna have to layer your saw sound like 14 times not including sub. For the sub i would have it playing the same melody as the saw, same side chain but layer it with a super clean one and a super dirty one.

if the you're after a sound thats in a song thats professionally mixed/mastered i would try to guess what it sounded like premixed. Also you aren't going to get the epic sound you want with one instance of massive. You're gonna have to layer your saw sound like 14 times not including sub. For the sub i would have it playing the same melody as the saw, same side chain but layer it with a super clean one and a super dirty one.

when you say 14 layers do you mean 14 of the same preset or 14 different sounds which all compliment each other? If its 14 of the same sound do you de-tune or adjust the wavetable of each one? ( assuming your doing it in massive )

Thanks

when you say 14 layers do you mean 14 of the same preset or 14 different sounds which all compliment each other? If its 14 of the same sound do you de-tune or adjust the wavetable of each one? ( assuming your doing it in massive )

Thanks
He's exaggerating. I can hear one layer of saw with white noise and one layer of a bell tree? sample, and an 808 underneath. Getting it right is just a matter of lots of fine tuning and mixing it together.
You could layer your supersaws if you like, but I really don't think it's necessary.

Last edited:
im not exaggerating. You layers should blend together so people cant tell if its one layer or more. Start with on layer, something really good and build off of that. Dont force yourself to have 14 layers though, my average saw layers range from 8-14 tracks. My last one was 2 layers from intro-prehook and hook hit with 14 layers

im not exaggerating. You layers should blend together so people cant tell if its one layer or more. Start with on layer, something really good and build off of that. Dont force yourself to have 14 layers though, my average saw layers range from 8-14 tracks. My last one was 2 layers from intro-prehook and hook hit with 14 layers
You may use 8+ layers, but I think you're overcomplicating things. If you can't tell whether it's one layer or not then it's probably one layer. You could definitely get the same results from fewer layers put together better.

You may use 8+ layers, but I think you're overcomplicating things. If you can't tell whether it's one layer or not then it's probably one layer. You could definitely get the same results from fewer layers put together better.
Its only over complicating things if you're forcing it to be 8+ layers. When i layer i dont sit there and decide it need to be 14 layers. The particular production i did that has 14 layers on, i didnt sit there and count as i was doing it. After i got a saw sound i was happy with and didnt want to change it at all i counted afterwards as i was stemming. Most of my sessions are 70+ tracks. Most sessions ive worked with professionally as an engineer for producers tend to be 100+.

I think people are perfectly okay using only a supersaw with a single bass, sub and a lead. You don't just stack on sounds for the heck of it. There is no reason to stack 10 supersaws on top of each other. It more about stacking sounds that interact with each other well in my experience. You cant have 10 sounds all taking up the 500 hz range. Honestly I'd like to see these project files with 90+ tracks. I mean yeah in essence I've seen pictures of Madeons files but he does it in such a way that frequencies don't clash. New producers get to caught up stacking 50 sounds because they heard Alesso uses 5 nexus presets for his leads and its not necessary.

Also Kultur told that the drop in the song is. 3 synths and background vocals. Sometimes song high pitched piano notes. 3 synths are a sub, the supersaw and the lead which sounds like a single voiced saw wave with distortion.

I think people are perfectly okay using only a supersaw with a single bass, sub and a lead. You don't just stack on sounds for the heck of it. There is no reason to stack 10 supersaws on top of each other. It more about stacking sounds that interact with each other well in my experience. You cant have 10 sounds all taking up the 500 hz range. Honestly I'd like to see these project files with 90+ tracks. I mean yeah in essence I've seen pictures of Madeons files but he does it in such a way that frequencies don't clash. New producers get to caught up stacking 50 sounds because they heard Alesso uses 5 nexus presets for his leads and its not necessary.

well no body saw anything about stacking 10 super saws but if you are just beginning to produce you NEED to practice layering. If you're new id suggest starting you saw with a sine wave sub for 0 octave range, a powerful saw for the 1-2 octave range, and a supersaw for anything above that. Once you get more practiced youll get better and start defining your own supersaw sound. People who's sessions are 90+ tracks are generally songs that are major releases or people who have a few hits under their belts. Teenage dream was 180 tracks. Its no joke if you want a huge f everyone sound, its all in the layering. 14 generally thin sounding saws each one playing nicely off of each other blend into one huge sounding saw.

I'm just saying its not always necessary, to have a ton of layers. There is no reason to have a separate track for a saw you can put in a single instance of Sylenth. It has 4 oscillators for a reason. Of course it also depends on how you have your notes octaved out in the piano roll. I guess all in all what it comes down to is. "It just depends on what sounds good and works for you."

Back