Future Super Saws

I'm just saying its not always necessary, to have a ton of layers. There is no reason to have a separate track for a saw you can put in a single instance of Sylenth. It has 4 oscillators for a reason. Of course it also depends on how you have your notes octaved out in the piano roll. I guess all in all what it comes down to is. "It just depends on what sounds good and works for you."
thats exactly what im saying. But if you're still really early in you should be practicing layering and developing an ear and technique of it for yourself. Even if the track only needs 1 or 2 layers of saw in your opinion, still practice. You dont have to keep every layer, just the good ones.

Ive just spent some time layering a chord melody and have never really layered to this extreme but after using 10 carefully chosen leads and a sub i can safely say its the best results ive had so far.

Anytime i used a couple layers it just sounded weak, no matter what i did to it or how i arranged the notes in the piano roll or played with the synth but maybe thats just me

Is there any must read/watch information out there on layering, mainly aiming at the supersaw sound?

Not really any said way to go about it. Its just something you gotta practice and play with. Different note selection and layers etc.. Any advice you find will be pretty vague maybe someone on the forum can put in a few more tips on layering

I just posted a similar response in another thread about this same thing. Are you guys using Serum? It is a quick and fat and fast way to get those enveloping, lush yet sculpted supersaws. I'd be happy to share a couple of quick patches if anyone is interested.

Some of the things that give it this better quality are really good unison modes and very visual enveloping. You can change the stacking mode to "Super" from "Linear" to emulate a fat Roland supersaw. You can then bump up the unison mode and automate the detuning of it as well as some pretty wonky things with the wavetable. This to me sounds like just a very simple, fat unison, with a little layer of bright noise on top (you could automate the Hyper/Dimension functions in Serum to do some lush movement as well). It is then enveloped or LFO'ed in certain parts. You could just draw some really rad envelopes or weird LFO shapes in Serum and then delay the onset of them to have effects that sweep in and contribute to the classic, heavily sidechained future bass push'n'pull effect.

Here's what I wrote in the other post for another bit of info. it was about Flume "More Than you thought" chord synths:
Just get a nice saw wave, and increase the unison stacking and detuning between the unisons. There seems to be a pitch automation of the fine pitch wobble increasing as the note goes on - could be an envelope or LFO. On Serum there is a knob on the LFO settings where you can set the length of the delay between the note hitting and the LFO starting... so you could have the default waveform, with Unison bumped up to 4-7 voices (tip: go into the global settings and change the STACK setting from Linear to Super and it will emulate a more classic analog Roland supersaw). Then automate an LFO, you can go crazy with all kinds of custom shapes but draw something that goes more wobbly as it goes on. Set the delay to start the LFO to 1/8 or 1/4 and then drag the LFO to the detuning (or fine pitch) and you will get a similar wonky pitch effect.

Back