Frustrated and suffering from the longest writers block ever.

boom.box

Hi everyone. I'm new here.
So far I've read a lot of great posts in this forum. I'm glad to see an online community who helps out, and thats not a bunch of haters.

I've been having a hard time for the past umm... let's say 12 months. For some reason I just do not know how to portray the music that is in my head onto computer. I've gone to school for sound production- I'm pretty sure I know just as much (if not more) when it comes to sound design than some of the producers who are on the radio today (no diss) so wtf? If I hear a beat I can name just about every instrument and effect used on the track. I have a real passion for this art. It sucks that my knowledge isn't getting used to its full potential. It just always comes out all wrong. Has anyone else ever gone through this? if so what advice can you lend to help me out of a slump?

Im in the same boat right now as you... it sucks big time... I am always trying to make my music sound what I want it to in my head for a song idea I'll have (since i rap as well/sing/talk/blab/) and it never works out right. Your other post is good though, stop listenin to music and try writnig what comes from your heart and corny as that may sound just be you.. if you like west coast music and your life is west coast ... do it up .. dont try to be like anybody... theres only one timbaland out there and only one dre ... no one else made it big by emulating them....

i fell ya. I go in the studio tryna make one sound, and I end up wit sumthin else

i try erasing all negative thoughts and starting from scratch.
we've all hit dry periods based on one reason or another.
my issues may differ from yours but i think if i clear my mind and
work off a clean slate, i can at least get started. then go about getting my passion back.

you gotta make the music that you like to make. dont try to imitate some shyt that you like to listen to.

When I get into music slumps, usually a new sound / sample helps me get out of it. Also I have a ton of unfinished tracks and once I browse through those I can either do some mixing, sound design, or even add something.

Also whenever I have time I like to cut the drums and one hitters out of an entire album to make my own drum kit.

Hope that helps a little... good luck!

Ok put some music on that u really like (I don't mean hip hop)for example if I can't get anything going beatwise or melodywise I'll listen to earth wind & fire (yeah really) and **** will make me get pumped up about producing lol hope that helped

its cus u started to analize music 2 much man! u kno all bout them frequencies and compressor stuff typa **** but u forget what it means 2 create good sounding stuff without lookin at it from an engeneers point of view! free your mind n stop thinkin bout the technic! its all about the things u cant put into numbers or vst inserts digg me?

yo this is what you dabble a lil at a time.....go in one day create like 4 drum patterns....then come up with a bassline for those patterns....finally you'll be on to the melody...

i know my fingers just can't move as fast as i want them to, to create somethings....

also even tho it might sound reach robotic.....if you know all about notes and intervals then try step record....you can alway adjust the values to get the feel you want..

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice;

First off, get off the internet and get outside! Be social whatever it takes, to get you away from the PC.

Second; don't make music or listen to music (Be realistic where possible) at all for 2 solid weeks. I'm dead serious, do not make even one melody. If you gotta be in someones car with the radio on, turn it down low and chat to them instead. Take the stairs if they play music in the elevator. If your friends want you to go to the club, tell them something to get out of it and try to go somewhere sans music. Avoid music at all costs for 2 weeks.

Don't analyze it try not to even think about how much you want to play/write. Do something totally different that you like. I don’t know what you do, but I ride my motorbike, play ball, hang out with my girl, read books (not about music), build a new computer, play video games ANYTHING that has nothing to do with music. Seriously, just try it for 2 weeks. Its not that long. You won’t find the answer whilst your mind is on it.

If you think avoiding music for 2 weeks is long, I avoided music for almost 3 months before I wanted to hear it so bad I couldn't help but write. I just couldn't hold back the creativity any longer.

I went through some serious writers block for almost 2 years. I mean I wrote some stuff during that period, but it was all garbage. Thing is I never gave, up and totally switched genres in the end. I haven't made it yet, but its a long journey for some people...and that doesn't bother me.

The key is; don't go round in circles thinking about it, just wait it out. Survive the "waiting it out" by doing something totally unrelated.

Check out some old threads that you might find helpful

"Whats the difference between forcing composition and just not being lazy "
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172201

"whats your longest stretch of beat block? "
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196216

"Inspiration?"
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193509

I would wish you luck, but trust me; you don't need it. You got everything you need in your head, you just gotta work that out.

Last edited:
thanx 4 this i experienced this before when i started music, but i didnt know how it was called =]

Last edited:
boom.box said:
Hi everyone. I'm new here.
So far I've read a lot of great posts in this forum. I'm glad to see an online community who helps out, and thats not a bunch of haters.

I've been having a hard time for the past umm... let's say 12 months. For some reason I just do not know how to portray the music that is in my head onto computer. I've gone to school for sound production- I'm pretty sure I know just as much (if not more) when it comes to sound design than some of the producers who are on the radio today (no diss) so wtf? If I hear a beat I can name just about every instrument and effect used on the track. I have a real passion for this art. It sucks that my knowledge isn't getting used to its full potential. It just always comes out all wrong. Has anyone else ever gone through this? if so what advice can you lend to help me out of a slump?

I was the same way, then I came here, and just in two days of listening to everything imaginable, I've managed to also make 3 or 4 tracks I Love.
Listen Listen Listen.

Back