Frequency Isolation/Control question

DJJB

Producer from the Future
I have recently become interested in having control over exact frequencies. I use FL studio and I have a decent amount of plugins so I should be able to tweak the sound in the way I would like- I just do not know how to do it! So I am asking you for a detailed description of ways in which I could do the following.

I need to know how to control EXACT frequencies (specifically down to the last digit; ie 442hz or 563hz exactly) to boost them and lower the volume of all surrounding frequencies.

the two ways in which I need to be able to use this control:
1. To make synth sounds that feature a combination/chord made of 2-6 exact frequencies. (ie playing 220hz, 340hz, 520hz, and 830hz at the same time, but only these frequencies and no others)
2. I would like to create my own synth/pad sounds that have VERY specific dominant frequencies. where EXACT frequencies are peaking at volumes higher than the rest of the sound.

I'm guessing a compressor or limiter could be used to do this, not sure how though- maybe if I play the right note and then cut out all frequencies below a certain volume I can isolate the right ones?. I have played around with FL parametric EQ2 and it does not give precise enough control to isolate the frequencies in the way I need to. That plugin is close to what I could use but it doesn't allow you to zoom in on frequency ranges for better accuracy. Is there a plugin I can get that plays exact frequencies or that can manipulate exact frequencies?

any related sites or articles would be appreciated!
If you know anything about this please give as much detail as possible

Thanks

1. Use pure sine waves - it's the only waveform that's single frequency. Everything else will cover a broader range.
2. I guess using an EQ and boosting those freqs with the narrowest possible Q would do the trick - it might sound really harsh though.

Can I ask why are you trying to do this?

I've recently learned about binaural beats and brainwave frequencies and I want to create these. Once i figure it out I'll make some music based around them.

Krushing is right , pure sine .
I don't think eq will be of use , you can't filter it down further , so you end up with a kinda VCA at best , and at worst the eq might add harmonics through distortion .

The binaural thing raised a smile with me .
Never looked into it , but I would guess it uses the heterodyne effect within a stereo relationship .
If that is the case , perhaps it might be possible to use sounds with more harmonic content as long as the harmonic and phase relationship is within the required interactions of your "musical-context" at that place in time .

You'll have to post some of your endeavour in this ! :)

Thank You!

yea foggy it does use the heterodyne effect and would need headphones to be appreciated, although I am doing a little homework on how to remove the need for headphones so that I could mix it better into songs. Maybe there is a way to save the binaural beats back into a mono form? anyone know?

interesting with the harmonic comment- i will have to try that.

I have also been very intrigued by the solfeggio frequencies and their supposed effects. I have always thought that some music/chords really hit my soul but now I'm beginning to think there is a reason! There are some very wild bits of 'info' about the perfect circle of sound and other related topics, check it out...

Back