French House / French Touch Synth Sounds

JonnyBoy1

Hi everyone

First post here so hello all!

I've been fiddling with my midi keyboard on and off for a year or two now but over the last six months really decided to "learn properly", both production and music theory.

I am now confident with keys, major and minor chords and simple progressions. Over the last few weeks I have been working on the more exciting sevenths and inverted chords and this has led me back to the beautiful sounds of French House Music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or the sound in this tute:

I'm having real difficulty getting that sound. At times it seems that there are elements of a wurly in there whilst at other times it sound more like 80s analogue brass sounds. I know there is a slow attack. I know there is a shed load of compression on there (I am very much a new comer to compression however and I'm not entirely sure whether the compression is on the whole track or the synth or both!). I also know (and am confident with) everything is sidechained to the kick.

What's annoying me is that I have limited time to play around and I seem to be spending 90% attempting to craft the sound I want before I give up and go with a "nearly there but not quite" preset.

Can anyone help me with advice on how to emulate this beautiful sound? I have access to:

Ableton 9
Massive
Sylenth
Synth1
Serum
Spire
Arturia Analogue Lab

Thanks in advance all :)

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems pretty standard to me. Seems really like an analog brass with some processing.
I think that with sylenth, synth1 and massive you wont get this sound as good as an 80's synth (Serum, spire and arturia I dont know properly), so try to download some good vst that emulate these 80's synths, like Obdx or any free vst.

French house rulz!

Back