Formant pitch shifting

DJR

I like the effect of pitching vocals down using a formant shifter.

I've been using the vocal transformer within logic (probably not the best tool, but all I have available at the minute) but I'm having an issue with getting the result to sound clean, especially when the vocal has been time strectched to fit the tempo.

Is there anything you guys can recommend or any processing tips you can offer that can help keep it clean?

I have been trying to use clean samples to start with but am still not getting the desired results.

Thanks

what I was thinking earlier couldn't be a$$ed to check if there was something new I didn't know about as yet, but will look now just to satisfy my curiosity

Yeah, i haven't heard of formant pitch shifting either, but i'm assuming you mean you're pitch shifting whilst trying to keep the formants the same? If so, have a look at the time and pitch machine in the sample editor. Try a different algorithm if it sounds sloppy when tempo changing. Converting it to an apple loop is even better in my opinion.

Sorry if my terminology is off but from what I understand it would be shifting formants, or maybe not?

S0106_VocalTransformer.png

Shifting the formant down using the knob on the right hand side gives vocals a nice effect, it turns female vocals into male etc..

But it introduces artifacts which I'm trying to avoid.

Ah, a case of specific use of a term that may not match the actual definition of that term - I'll look into it and get back to you

I didn't think you could do that either, but if you notice, the new Roland VT-3 does exactly the same thing. I think it is called Formant Shifting, but I'm not sure...

GJ

Yeah, that's formant shifting. As for artifacts, are you using stereo files? You want to stick with mono files really.

Back