FM-Timestretched-Bass-Synth Sound

le.to

Hi,
i´m trying to create a Synth like on of these in the drops:

Calvin Harris - Summer (Grandtheft Diplo Remix)

Troyboi - Do you?

Sound like Sqare Waves, and i think a big part of the sound are automations, but i don´t real know where to start off. Maybe some usefull and helpfull ideas here.
Using FM8.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
i don't do too much with Fm synths but as i can see no answer let me give a try ,
these sounds are no simple square [h=1]Calvin Harris - Summer at 1;10[/h]
first try to learn how you are supposed to create that kind of sound - the basic patch before you get more complicated with automation with sound b or whatsoever these guys do

i think its something like a triangle op1 modulated with sine wave op2
but it could be different wave forms

try different ways and see where that leads to

another important is the frequency ratio how you put on both operators it changes the sound try different frequency ratios combination and see how that works

I don't know the exact formula for that specific sound, but I've made lots of similar sounds, and the basic recipe is:

1. Pick a nice wavetable, or several ones, and/or fiddle around with FM and such, as well as differnet Warp modes if it sounds good
2. Add a filter, such as a bandstop filter, or doubless bandstopfilter, peakfilters etc, and experiment with the cutoff, resonance, bandwidth etc - together with distortion. You can also try out experimental filters such as phase filters and such (though these will probably make the sound more odd-harmonic).

The main principle is to create a rich and unique timbre from the oscillators and shape it with filters together with distortion.

Then you have additional options like portamento, pitch bend, chorus, and so on.

PS. In this specific sound believe they've used a bandstopfilter and set the cutoff and bandwidth to mimin the brighter formant shape, and applied the distortion, giving the lead synth that "EEEE"-type of sound

Back